Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3-Monitor display with ATI ALL IN WONDER 9800
Faustin   2005-02-28 22:49
Hi,

I have an ATI All In Wonder 9800 Pro AGP and i need support for 3-Monitor display. What other PCI video card would you recommend?

Thanks! :)

My System:
Dell Dimension 8250
512 RDRAM
WinXP Pro

Display:
2x Analog Dell E1711Fb
1x Analog Samsung LTM1775 S
Tantalus   2005-03-01 12:51
if you don't have an old pci card lying around and actually need to buy a card, i'd suggest an ati radeon 7000 ($40) at newegg. you could probably buy a cheapo pci card and get it to work, too. i normally won't have any qualms about recommending nvidia but recent posts here on the forums suggest certain pci nvidia cards are finicky.

the nvidia tools do seem to be a cut better than ati's and support some extra fancy options (rotation, segmentation of the screen, etc) none of which i need. ultramon does everything i want.
Tom   2005-03-02 05:36
For not much more ($40-$50) you can pick up an ATI Radeon 7500 PCI card on ebay, I bought 2 there, and they work great. They are dual head (RGB & DVI) and have video out, so its good if you ever want to connect a 4th monitor or a television.

My system's details/photo
Faustin   2005-03-02 07:31
Thanks for the quick replies guys, they're very helpful.

Tantalus--> I read about some drivers compatibility issues when using and ATI in conjoction with another manufacturer's card (nVidia for example as you were suggesting); do you have a position on that?

TOM --> I see that you basically have the same card as i do, except for the absence of a TV tuner on yours; I read that i wouldn't be able to use the TV Tuner on the ALL IN WONDER since i would have to set as secondary, with the PCI being the primary video card. Is it true for WinXP too? There seemed to be some conflicting reports on that, but i think i just didn't understand properly
Tantalus   2005-03-02 07:49
a many people don't have problems getting ati and nvidia cards to work together judging from the database (under Resources). we are seeing reports of the nvidia mx400 pci card (or some similar model) in the forum messages with problems. you and look thru the threads and i'm sure you/ll find it.

is there a particular reason why you want an nvidia card? both Tom and I suggest an ati radeon card which is about a cheap as you can find for a brand name pci card.
Faustin   2005-03-02 23:57
No, i don't particularly want a nVidia. The ATI will do just fine :)

Thanks again, both of you!
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3-Monitor display with ATI ALL IN WONDER 9800