Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Secondary Display Trident TGUI 9685 TV-Out Problem
Pixellated   2001-05-11 17:01
'Allo everyone .. Hopefully someone here will be able to shed some light on how to fix my problem.

Here's the setup I'm trying to get working:
Primary video: Creative 3D Blaster TNT2 Ultra AGP w/ TV-Out (32 MB)
Secondary video: Trident TGUI 9658 PCI w/ TV-Out (4 MB) (Using TV-Out as the secondary 'monitor')

Here's my problem:
When the Trident card is the secondary display adapter, I can't switch it to TV-Out. The options for TV-Out under Display Properties -> Settings (for the Trident card) -> Advanced... -> .. are gone. They're still there for the primary card though.

When the Trident is the primary (or only) video card, the options are there and work just fine. Windows detects it as a 4MB, let's me switch TV-Out/Monitor etc.. to my hearts content. As soon as the Trident card is secondary again, it's detected as a 1MB card, and the options for TV-Out are gone.

I'm running the latest Detonator3 (650) drivers for my TNT2 card and using the standard Win98SE drivers for the Trident card. (The 'newest' drivers available from Trident are almost a year older than the Win98SE supplied drivers. I've used both sets of drivers with the Trident as the primary/only card, they both work fine.)

Any ideas, hints, thoughts, information, etc.. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Pixellated
Pixellated   2001-05-12 04:02
Errgh.
Small type in the message that I just now caught.

The model number of the card in the line:

Secondary video: Trident TGUI 9658 PCI w/ TV-Out (4 MB) (Using TV-Out as the secondary 'monitor')

Should really be 9685 like the thread topic says it is. Sorry.

--
Pixellated
Christian Studer   2001-05-12 10:27
I don't think there's much you can do about this, probably just a limitation of the driver. ATI for example has similar limitations: you can't use video in/out and the TV-tuner when the card is secondary.

You could get a VGA-to-TV converter, but it would probably be less expensive to just get a new video card that supports TV-out even when being used as secondary. See the TV-out FAQ for more information.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Pixellated   2001-05-12 16:21
*nod*

Does seem to be a limitation in either the driver or Windows.

I just figured it would be worth a try since I had picked the card up for free from someone who just had it laying around.

Thanks for the info. ^_^

--
Pixellated
Pixellated   2001-05-16 03:08
*laughs*

Got bored and grabbed the drivers for that Trident card off the WinME CD .. They won't even support multi-monitor mode. (True, I'm still running Win98SE .. And there is very little chance I'll switch to WinME. Ever.) I was hoping that the 'newer' drivers would work..

Go figure. Oh well.

--
Pixellated
Peter   2001-05-23 03:44
I've got a TV67 (trident 9685 chipset) which doesn't have TV-out (although you can see space for it on the board, just no output. :( ) and it's not supported at all in Win2k.

Right now I've got 2 voodoo3's in the system and I was hoping to add the trident card as a third, but no luck.

Just letting you know incase you were thinking of moving to Win2k.

Peter.
Pixellated   2001-05-25 11:15
*nod*
I had heard that the Trident 9685 cards didn't work (or work well) in Win2K. Wasn't really planning on switching to Win2K either, but I may eventually anyway. Thanks for the info though, I'll have to remember that.

--
Pixellated
Pixellated   2001-05-26 17:01
Oiye...

It was so incredibly simple, I had completely missed it. Finally found a way to get it to work. Something I had missed before .. This particular card has a jumper to 'hardwire' it's output to TV. (Shows what I get for not paying attention, hmm?)

--
Pixellated
Peter   2001-06-04 03:49
Hmm. I hadn't heard that. (the 9685 cards not liking win2k).

So were you eventually able to get it to work? I was thinking of picking up a Trident 9685 Tv-out for $20 (just so I can pipe movies to the tv). Would it work in Win2k do you think?
Pixellated   2001-07-02 16:46
I don't remember where I heard/read that now.. Sorry. If what I do remember is right, it was something to do with either the complete lack of drivers or at least no working ones.

So, other than that, I dunno. Sorry I can't be more help. (If I ever get around to installing Windows 2000, I'll let you know if it works or not. ;)

--
Pixellated
Brian   2001-07-18 19:34
I have a Trident 9685 TV, such as the one you're describing, and unfortunately whatever documentation came with it has been lost. If someone could let me know the correct jumper settings for TV output, I'd be grateful.

While we're on the subject, can anyone inform me as to the capabilities of the SVHS jack on the card? I've been told it's an input, and if so, how can I implement this?
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Secondary Display Trident TGUI 9685 TV-Out Problem