Forums -> Multiple monitors -> any 3 monitor flight sim guru's
Rich   2005-03-05 04:20
Hi:

Just wondering if there is anyone who can give me a little info as to how well 3 monitors will work in flight simulator 2004, I am going to run 3 21.3" lcd's and wondering if you can span the views properly on all 3 monitors, using a 6800 ultra 256mb for 2 monitors and a 256mb pic fx5200, any comments would be appreciated.

Regards, Rich

Rich
Nate   2005-03-14 18:38
as far as i know, its just a simple setting change, because last i knew, flight sim 2004 was setup for triple view b/c of the matrox parahelia
Max   2005-03-14 20:45
Sure you can. First of all you will have them correctly placed in Windows Desktop properties dialog, let's say they are the main view central,
let's call it 1, right side call it 2 and third side call it 3, wich should be the first monitor
on the second card. Fs2004 has this behavior handling main view and cockpit panel on the first display, of the first card, I never tried defining another monitor as the main monitor, but that would not make me surprise to find out it does not work. Anyway, you start fs2004 in windowed mode.
open a new view from the top line menu, then right click on it and select "undock". this will place it in a different window, wich you will move to the monitor #2, and do the same operation with another view, and move it to the monitor #3.

At this point, press alt+enter and go fullscreen. you will have a main cokpit window with a front view, plus 2 side windows wich can be resized to full screen now. they will point anyway to the front, so select the right view with a single mouse click and then hold CTRL, press "9" on the keypad (with numlock on), see it changes direction of viewpoint to right, then release 9 then release CTRL to let it holds the direction. same thing on the other monitor. single click, CTRL "7" this time (for a left view on the left monitor). release 7, release ctrl.

now click on the central one, you will need some time to get practice around ciclic view : cockpit, without frames, virtual cockpit. decide what's your best then enjoy.

I hint you to use this at 800x600x16 as native resolution even from windows. I found out higher resolution causes a huge demands of performance with fs, wich is not handled causing a crash.
so fixing minimum resolution, details, sceneries, gives you the most in fluidity. but I have all radeon cards, maybe you get a better luck.

let me know if you have problems and enjoy your flights
keith   2005-03-19 20:25
Thanks for that Max, that is just what I was after.

Sandy
keith   2005-03-22 23:36
Can you save the resulting screen set-up or do you have to do that everytime you re-start FS?

Sandy
Max   2005-03-23 01:04
I did not check, but I read fs does not save the screen setup. Maybe with some external tool you can freeze the state of the game and run it from there.
Rich   2005-04-23 12:38
Thanks guys for all your help haven't checked for any answers because when I first posted it for a while no replys thanks again I will give it a go.

Regards, Rich

Rich
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> any 3 monitor flight sim guru's