Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ATI (AGP) andNVIDIA(PCI)
Kevin   2005-03-07 09:16
I've got a Gateway pc that originally came with an ATI Radeon X300 Video card in the AGP slot-only has one vga output. So I decided to get another video card so that I could upgrade to a triple monitor set-up. The video card I added is a PCI NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 with dual vga output. After installing the video card and booting up the pc, I installed the drivers and restarted. That's about as far as I can get without locking up the pc. When I enter Display properties and try to update the monitors (i.e. extend desktop and such) and then hit apply, the pc freezes. I also am not able to open up the NView desktop manager. There's an icon in the control panel for it, but it won't come up when I click on it. I also couldn't find the program anywhere else on the hard drive. If there's anyone that could assist me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Kevin
Ian   2005-03-13 12:14
I have managed to get ATI and nVidia cards to play nicely together *but* you need to make sure that you do not have the display utilities from both manufacturers installed at the same time.
My guess is that you already had the ATI utilities installed (i.e. you used to have a little ATI logo showing in the system tray). You also mention nView which is the nVidia equivalent - these two will not coexist happily in my experience. So get rid of one of them and see if that solves your problem.
In summary: you can have the driver and utilities for one card (e.g. ATI) and the driver *only* for the other card.
Hope that helps.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ATI (AGP) andNVIDIA(PCI)