Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual-monitor card to replace Intel integrated: PCI or PCI-express?
Kevin   2005-03-09 08:23
I recently bought a Dell Dimension 4700, and a NEC FE991SB 19" CRT monitor. I use my computer primarily for Adobe Photoshop CS, the internet, and the occasional DVD.

I have the new Intel Integrated 915G chipset, which is fine for what I'm doing right now. However, I'd like to be able to use the NaviSet (DDC/CI) software that came with my NEC monitor, and also be able to hook up my old monitor as an extended desktop. So, here are my questions:
- Can I connect my old monitor to the integrated graphics adapter, and my new monitor to whatever card I choose?
- Would PCI be fine for how I'm using my computer, or should I go the PCI-express route?
- ATI or nVIDIA, and what model/amount of memory (I currently have 512MB dual-channel DDR2...planning to upgrade eventually to 1GB)?

I realize I'm asking a lot of questions, so any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated :)

Kevin
Tantalus   2005-03-10 01:14
>>Can I connect my old monitor to the integrated graphics adapter, and my new monitor to whatever card I choose?

this is largely dependent on the motherboard and the type of card you're using.

if you install an AGP card, the bios may disable the onboard video. if you install a PCI card, the onboard will still work but you may have to set the pci card as primary in the bios (usually this is not required unless you're using a very old card).

>>Would PCI be fine for how I'm using my computer, or should I go the PCI-express route?

all depends on what you use the pc for. if you play games on the computer, buy a pci-e card. if you just run a web browser, word-processing,etc you could probably make do with a cheap pci card.

i haven't checked the prices on dual-head pci-e cards, but unless they're over $100, i don't recommend that you buy a pci card. and if you have any interest in running a spanned desktop (not extended), you can't run each display off two separate sources.

>>- ATI or nVIDIA, and what model/amount of memory (I currently have 512MB dual-channel DDR2...planning to upgrade eventually to 1GB)?

32-64mb of video ram is more than enough to support very high resolutions (2xxx) at 32bit color depths. 128/256mb ram is only needed if you play games.
Kevin   2005-03-10 04:38
Tantalus- Thanks for the reply...a few more questions, though.

Like I said, I mainly use my computer for Adobe Photoshop CS, the internet, and the occasional DVD. If I went with a PCI card--like the nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 chipset that I'm leaning towards--would I be able to run DVDs smoothly?

Thanks again for the help :)
Tantalus   2005-03-10 05:01
>If I went with a PCI card--like the nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 chipset that I'm leaning towards--would I be able to run DVDs smoothly

my answer would be that you would probably be fine. a good deal with depend on the processor you have and the average load. there are some cpu intensive tasks with certain photoshop plugiins/tasks which could cause some choppiness if you were to be watching a dvd.

i can tell you that i have a p4 3ghz system with a old matrox millenium II pci card that drives my third LCD display and i've never had any problems watching DVD's using it.
Kevin   2005-03-10 07:16
Tantalus- Thanks so much for the help :)
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual-monitor card to replace Intel integrated: PCI or PCI-express?