Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Three DVI displays under WinXP Pro
Pete   2005-03-24 18:03
Hi all

My Shuttle SB61G2 uses an AGPx8 Matrox Millennium P650 card to drive two DVI monitors. I am thinking of adding a PCI graphics card (with a DVI output) to the spare PCI slot so that a third DVI display can be used.

Does anyone have any experience with such AGP + PCI graphics cards setup and/or running three monitors using WinXP Pro's multiple-monitor support? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Pete
Pete   2005-03-24 18:17
Another possibility. Instead of adding a PCI video card, does anyone know if it is possible to use the onboard VGA display to run a third VGA monitor with WinXP extended (not stretched) desktop support? Should Matrox's own dualhead software be removed to avoid any conflict?

Thanks again!

Pete
Seahorse   2005-03-24 19:10
I have read conflicting reports regarding the possibility of using the onboard graphics. Adding a third monitor using PCI is fairly straightforward though, make sure you use the same chip manufacturer nvidia or radeon based not mixed...

--
Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish.Com Deep Sea Daddies...
Tantalus   2005-03-25 00:11
>>Another possibility. Instead of adding a PCI video card, does anyone know if it is possible to use the onboard VGA display to run a third VGA monitor with WinXP extended (not stretched) desktop support? Should Matrox's own dualhead software be removed to avoid any conflict?

most motherboards w/onboard graphics will disable the onboard video when an agp card is detected. you should be able to verify this easily enough by connecting a display to the onboard video and seeing for yourself and experimenting with both removing the agp card and leaving it in.

you shouldn't have to remove the matrox software unless you're having specific problems getting the third display to work. i run independent displays so i never load the software, just the matrox driver itself.

most any pci card (matrox, nvidia, ati, generic brand) should work with though i would search the database for matching configs or post your choices here in the thread.
Pete   2005-03-25 01:07
Thanks, Tantalus and Seahorse for your prompt and help responses.

I'll have a go!

Pete
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Three DVI displays under WinXP Pro