Forums -> Multiple monitors -> software to stop fullscreen programs minimising when click on other monitors - does ultramon do this?
Tim Spencer   2005-03-30 21:35
I'm after something that allows programs to be specified for a specific display, and does NOT minimise them if you click on an area on another display.

take this for example.

I have 2 monitors set up, the 2nd monitor has MSN, TS, Performance monitors displayed on it, the 1st (primary) monitor has a game running on it in fullscreen. If I move the mouse onto the 2nd monitor and click on it, Windows XP says to itself the user is clicking in the desktop therefore minimise the current fullscreen program (the game on monitor 1) to access the programs in the desktop (on monitor 2).

What I want is something to force the fullscreen program to stay fullscreen on the 1st monitor while I click on other programs on the 2nd monitor.

Does Ultramon do this? and if so, how well?
Tantalus   2005-03-31 01:48
i could be wrong on this because i don't run games on my machine but your complaint (ie. when a game is running full-screen on #1 and mouse click on #2 minimizes the game on #1) is how MS windows handles full-screen apps in certain video modes. in other words, i don't think it is possible for any software to correct given the way the windows video subsystem is implemented.

the only workaround that i see in the future is for the gaming developers to properly code their app to allow good perfomance on the game when running it is running as a windowed app. the other alternative is to hook into the system calls for the display and insert of a lot of cludgy and os-dependent code to achieve a workaround...ulitimately, it's probably not feasible from a performance or cost-effective POV.

if christian or any other very knowledgeable people have something different to say or if i am wrong in my impressions, i'd like to hear it.

cheers.
boxface   2005-03-31 19:21
What happens when playing a game in full-screen is windows makes all monitors at that resolution so if you run games at 800x600 but use 1280x1024 for windows, everything will screw up. A way to work it is to play in Windowed Mode and Expand it to most of the screen so you're free to move your mouse anywhere and your resoultions wont be changed.
Tim Spencer   2005-04-04 02:58
yea im running things windowed now (which sucks btw) and it works as i wanted it to. thx.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> software to stop fullscreen programs minimising when click on other monitors - does ultramon do this?