Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 4 Monitors
Clay   2005-04-01 02:56
I am designing a video game written using C# and Direct X 9 that requires four monitors. One large 23 inch and three smaller (6-8 inch) touch screens.

Since each game will have three monitors, I am trying to determine the cheapest hardware that will work with the game.

However a video card to drive the three touch screen cost $500-600.

Is it possible to run the main 23 inch monitor using the video output from a mother board and then use three seperate inexpensive PCI video cards to independently run each of the touch screens?

Any suggestions on where to obtain the cheapest (have found dozens of very expensive ones) 8-10 inch touch screens.
Seahorse   2005-04-01 18:26
2 x Nvida cards with dual output obviously...

--
Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish.Com Deep Sea Daddies...
ECarlson   2005-04-02 03:18
For touch screens, you can check out the sites I have listed on my links page under: "Robotic, Electronic, and other tech stuff:". Some of them list touch screens and/or touch panels. I'm not sure that the screens you find can just be connected to a regular video card, and I'm also not sure how the touch information gets back to the computer. You might need to build additional circuitry to run the displays and read the touch information.

It would be interesting to hear how you end up getting everything working, and to hear about any problems you had to resolve along the way. I hope you'll post more as the project progresses.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Clay   2005-04-02 15:27
Mike

Checked out the Nvida cards you recommened. Looks like the FX5200 will be perfect for my needs.

PCI
Dual Monitor output
DirectX 9 support
2048x1536

Also
One of the reviewers had used two of them to drive four monitors.
AND
only $77.00 each at neweagg.com
That $144 is about 1/3 of the lowest price I had found before.
Thank you for the info!!!

To Eric

Checked out you web site.
It is amazing.

A young friend of mine is building an autonomous helicopter as a research project at TCU in Fort Worth, Texas.

That stuff fascinates me.

Could you send me some more information on the robot competitions.

Clay
Seahorse   2005-04-04 01:27
;) No worries, can't beat a cheap nVidia for bang for buck...

--
Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish.Com Deep Sea Daddies...
Jim   2005-04-08 10:23
Hi, not really an answer to your topic, but where did you find info on multi monitor DX stuff, I can't seem to find any useful information anywhere
Clay   2005-04-08 12:36
To Jim

I am not doing the DX programming. A friend of mine is writing the game in C# and DX9. I am trying to obtain the hardware to run the game.

What is giving you problems? Maybe I can find out the solution for you.
ECarlson   2005-04-14 13:54
Clay:

The FIRST Robotics championship competition is next week at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. If you're in the Atlanta area next week, drop by and say hello. There's more info on the Georgia Dome web site and on the FIRST web site.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 4 Monitors