Forums -> Multiple monitors -> "Set Primary Monitor" doesn't do anything!
Rob   2005-04-03 23:39
I Have a dual monitor setup. I want the Left screen to be the primary (with start button and sys tray etc) and the Right screen to just run the 'blank' (smart) taskbar.

I dont want to move the monitors or switch the cables over, because i want the better of my two graphics cards to run the better monitor (as the primary)

I thought that set primary > monitor 1 (the better graphics card) would do the trick, but nothing seems to happen. Neither option is greyed out, but changing the primary doesnt seem to have any effect.

Any ideas?

Rob
Seahorse   2005-04-04 01:18
nVidia or Radeon? nVidia have a no brainer - identify screen button...

--
Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish.Com Deep Sea Daddies...
Rob   2005-04-04 04:37
The identify button just shows which monitor is labelled number one and which is number two.

One graphics card is: "Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller" the other is "Inn3D GeForce2 MX/MX 400"

Dont know if that helps?

Thanks in advance

Rob
Seahorse   2005-04-04 06:57
Right click desktop, proerties, settings tab.

Armed with the 1 & 2 on screen. Drag & drop the monitor images to match your setup. You move the screens around with the mouse to match...

--
Rgds
Mike
ECarlson   2005-04-04 14:02
Setting the screen as primary is only part of the issue, and that part is probably working correctly. Number order doesn't matter either. What you want to do, after you've set the proper card to Primary, is to drag your icons and taskbars to the monitor you want them on.

I know - seems so obvious now that you know. :-)

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Rob   2005-04-06 02:57
Thanks ECarlson,

You were right. But a note for anyone else with the same problem as me...

1 You need to unlock your taskbar before you try dragging it around.

2 When you find you have 2 taskbars on one monitor and none on the other, right click the taskbar and mess about with the "add taskbar to monitor" options. Then right click and close to get rid of an unwanted taskbar.
ECarlson   2005-04-08 13:33
Rob: Good to hear it worked, and thanks for the additional tips.

Seahorse   2005-04-09 20:54
Perhaps if you mentioned untramon/taskbar issue in you original post...

--
Rgds
Mike
LJS   2005-05-05 06:40
I have the same problem, but using a laptop.

I want my external LCD to be primary and the laptop to be secondary w/ the smart taskbar.

I can drag my start menu over, but I cannot make my laptop monitor display a smart taskbar.

Under no condition can I make the external monitor primary.

Help please.

This is a t42p, btw.
ECarlson   2005-05-06 09:32
LJS: Laptops are a different story entirely. Many people have mentioned having problems setting external monitors to primary on laptops. I don't know how to fix that problem. There are some other threads on that topic, so you might want to see if anyone posted a solution to the problem.

David   2005-06-07 02:21
Just incase anyone did not see it (as i did not for a min or so) when you unlock the smart taskbar there will be some dots to the right of it. Click and drag on that to move the bar.

David
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> "Set Primary Monitor" doesn't do anything!