Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Tilting Monitors
Data_Monkey   2005-05-13 12:01
I am not sure where to ask this, so I will start here.

I have been looking at adding 2 more monitors to my system at home and have a few questions.
I have AMD64FX 3500+ A8N-SLI Deluxe with 2X NVida 6800 256Kb SLI cards.

1) I know the SLI works as one card but how many monitors can I run off this? I know I can do one from DVI and one from VGA but can I split the DVI
or VGA?

2)I seen some people who have monitors that are turned on their sides thus giving the user a taller and thinner screen. Is this software that allows the people to do that or is there something I need to do the monitor?

3)I also seen some set ups that run 2 separate computers attached to at least 2 monitors. BUT the person was able to run the machines in a 2 monitor mode or could switch to a setting that allowed each machine to use one of the screens thus using both machines on one monitor for each machine then could switch back to one machine with 2 monitors. Again is this a software or hardware thing?

Im looking to use this set up for gaming and web/DB design.
ECarlson   2005-05-13 12:53
If you've got 2 video cards, each with 2 video connectors (DVI and/or VGA), then you can connect 4 monitors. Of course, once you go past 1 monitor, you won't be using SLI any more, since SLI is for driving 1 monitor with 2 video cards. You should be able to switch to 1-monitor SLI when you want the extreme performance, then back to 4-monitor regular mode, when you need the expanded workspace.

The NVidia drivers include the ability to rotate the image 90 degrees (even 180 degrees), so you should already have that taken care of. Just don't try putting a color CRT on it's side. I ruined one CRT that way: The colors were all messed up after that. Many LCD screens, including the Dell UltraSharp 1905FP I have, have a stand that allows rotation, though any LCD could be used if you get creative, or if it uses a standard mount, and you replace the stand.

My prefered method for switching one of my two screens between 2 or more computers is to control all the other computers remotely. If you use a program like Windows Remote Desktop/Terminal Services (included), RAdmin (inexpensive), or VNC (free), you can operate any remote computer as if you were sitting right in front of it.

A KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse) switch is another option, but I only use those in the server room, or when I'm reinstalling the OS on a bunch of computers at the same time. Once the OS is installed, I install RAdmin, then I can remotely operate the computer, so I no longer need the KVM.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Tilting Monitors