Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Experiences with 2 different PCI-E cards in 1 PC
Jan Arkesteijn   2005-05-19 05:41
I have a A8N-SLI mobo with a XFX 6800 GT PCI-E card. To expand the setup to 5 monitors I consider to add a Matrox Parhelia APVe PCI-E card, but I have no idea of this will work.
Does anybody have any experince with two different brands of PCI-E video cards on a mobo with 2 PCI-E x16 slots ? Please let me know what your findings are.

See you, Jan
Jan Arkesteijn   2005-06-11 01:37
As nobody could answer my question I had to investigate myself. So I took the risk of bying the Matrox Parhelia APVe PCI-E card and installed it today.
The result is :
A8N-SLI + XFX 6800 GT PCI-E + Matrox Parhelia APVe PCI-E ===>> 5 Monitors alive ! ! Wow !

See you, Jan
ECarlson   2005-06-11 15:07
Nice!

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Tantalus   2005-06-12 01:27
how are your desktops configured? are the parhelia displays configured as a single expanded desktop or are you able to run all three as separate, extended desktops?
Thiadrik   2005-06-13 01:02
i think he has 3 monitors on a parhelia as 1 virtual screen because the parhelia cant run 3 idependent displays
Thiadrik   2005-06-13 01:10
I was wondering would it work if u put 2 parhelia's on a pci-e board and even better when next year the quad pci-e 8x boards are coming out 4 x parhelia thats 12 accelerated screens I wonder what flight sim 2006 looks like on a setup that huge okee stop dreaming
can u try it sometime???
Jan Arkesteijn   2005-06-13 02:09
To answer the questions in the previous mails I can give the following additional info :

In the display setup I have configured the 5 monotors like this

N
MMM
N

MMM are the 3 mon1tors on the Matrox Parhelia. These are fed from one single desktop of 3840*1024 resulting in 1280x1024 per monitor.
The N's are 2 separate 1280x1024 screens on the Nvidia 6800GT of which the lower one has been rotated by 90 degr resulting in 1024x1280.

This will be used as the 'panels' part of my new Flightsim setup with 4 PC's and 10 monitors. If anybody is interested I can give, in a couple of days, a link with more info and also some photo's

See you, Jan
Slaughterer   2005-06-13 14:30
Heck yeah! More information! That sounds sweet! And pictures if you've got 'em.
Jan Arkesteijn   2005-06-13 21:20
It went faster then I thought so here is the link already :
To my webpages

Depending on the type of information you are looking for you should find it in the 'Flight Simulation' part or the 'My PC Network' part.

If you have any questions or comments, just let me know

See you, Jan
Slaughterer   2005-06-14 04:32
Ten monitors on four PCs running one sim. That is just amazing. Kudos to you, sir!

I have one question for you. In my modest three-monitor setup, I've had some success with FS2004, but it never remembers where I placed the various views when I load the flight later on. Sometimes the views show up but in the wrong locations, and sometimes some of the views don't show up at all. My setup includes two Nvidia cards driving three independent displays (no spanning) and I'm running FS in windowed mode. The views just go haywire if I try to do full-screen mode.

Is there some magic trick to making the views work properly?
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Experiences with 2 different PCI-E cards in 1 PC