Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Irfanview
MuPPskI   2005-05-24 07:58
Is a software for viewing pics

anyways when I launch it its on montior number 2
and if I click next image , the window will move to monitor number 1 ??

Cant it still be in same monitor?
ECarlson   2005-05-24 10:54
Are you using the latest version (3.97)? I had multi-monitor problems with some older versions, right after Irfan added multi-monitor support.

You can also ask Irfan, or ask on the IrfanViewUsers Yahoo Group. (Of which I am the current moderator.)

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
MuPPskI   2005-05-24 16:22
Noo I had 3.92

Updated and now it works :D
Thanks

I thought this was a problem Ultramon could just solve

cuz my Mozilla Firefox is acting kinda the same
New windows spawn at wrong window
ECarlson   2005-05-25 13:49
Then use tabs. I love tabbed browsing.

Tantalus   2005-05-26 02:40
this is off-topic but imo, tabbed browsing for multi-display setups, particularly if you have a fair # of browser windows open (more than 6), doesn't make much, if any sense if you're a power user. :)
ECarlson   2005-05-26 03:26
I work much more efficiently with tabbed browsing. To me, multiple browser windows is just a mess, and difficult to navigate, especially when I have a number of other applications opened. I will occasionally open a new browser window if I need to look up something unrelated to what I am working on in my first multi-tab browser window, or if I need to view 2 pages side-by-side, but that is rare.

And with the middle-mouse-button support for opening links in new tabs and closing tabs in Mozilla, tabs are so easy to work with.

ECarlson   2005-05-26 03:32
And, the more pages you want to have available at one time, the more useful tabs become. For a couple pages, tabs vs multiple windows doesn't really matter, but if you have a dozen pages you want to review (like from a Google search), having each in a tab in one window is so much less messy, and far easier to keep track of and navigate.

Tantalus   2005-05-26 07:39
>>And, the more pages you want to have available at one time, the more useful tabs become. For a couple pages, tabs vs multiple windows doesn't really matter, but if you have a dozen pages you want to review (like from a Google search), having each in a tab in one window is so much less messy, and far easier to keep track of and navigate.

i suppose it's all a matter of taste and also partly on what you use your browser for.

see, the way i look at it...tabbed browsing might be a good way (the better descriptive might be [u]more convenient[/u]) to organize your browser windows, but it's probably not the best way to view that data esp if you need to view multiple browser windows at same time.

many veteran multi-display users use multi-displays systems because the extra screen real estate allows having more windows (or larger windows) open simultaneously.

yet when you use tabbed browsing, you're essentially going back to a 'one display' type configuration. you have your single browser windows and now must click different tabs to change that view. i'll readily admit that spawning child (secondary) windows can get a bit messy on a single display system, but multi-display users have a different option - with a little organization beforehand, you can simply confine new browser windows to a designated screen.

there's been many a time when i will have a google search on my #1 and i'll literally open up 30-40 link windows, each in succession. this allows me to make short work of traversing the search list and these windows all open on my #2 screen (without overwriting #1 and #3) and i can go thru them and kill or keep the ones i want to read. this also works very well particularly with ebay searches.

and as more and more tools and front-ends become web-based rather than application based, the need for having multiple browser windows to be simultaneously increases...a role which tabbed browsing is ill-suited for.
ECarlson   2005-05-26 14:50
One nice thing is that you get the best of both worlds: You can open multiple tabs when it makes sense, and multiple windows when it makes sense. And you can have multiple tabs in multiple windows when it makes sense.

Your google search example is the perfect use for tabs, so you might want to give it a try, especially if you use Firefox/Mozilla, and can enable your middle-click to open links in new tabs and to close tabs.

You can even bookmark a set of tabs if you want to continue your research later.

And tabbed browsing is great for single and multi-monitor users, especially power users, or like me, programmers/network administrators, where you have to have lots of different apps open at the same time, and often have to have lots of related web pages at the ready in one neat package.

MuPPskI   2005-05-27 02:10
I AM using tabbed browsing :D
Sometimes I like to have multiply 2 Firefox running and have tabbs in both..
Tantalus   2005-05-27 04:47
well, i tried firefox about a year ago and wasn't that impressed. part of that is because for some odd reason, i could not reach the google website within the firefox browser! for some strange reason, it just wouldn't display the page. on that same machine, IE worked fine. the test machine was a pristine VMware machine...so it didn't have any spyware,etc that you could blame this strange behavior on.

it's been my experience with many browsers (starting w/netscape 3) that they never really offered full 100% IE compatability (despite their claims) even with various custom settings turned on. some websites worked and some did not. and over the years, as IE crowded out more and more of the alternative browsers, practically all the business websites stopped 'supporting' non-IE browsers. their tech support would say, "Hey, if you're not using IE version x.x, then we can't help you because stopped allocating resources for it".

i'm sure that the compatibility issue has gotten better since then, but i still see problems being reported in the net community with a myriad of alternative browsers. to me, it's just not worth the hassle to switch if it's not going to work 100% of the time. but having said that, i'll probably give firefox (and possibly opera) another spin later this year.

my interest with firefox is with the email reader, more than anything else. i've been searching for a good alternative for my aging outlook express v5.5
ECarlson   2005-05-27 11:18
I'm using the Mozilla suite, which includes e-mail, but it looks like the majority of development is going to be going into the 2 standalone Mozilla apps. All I use it for is web and e-mail (and occasionally news groups), but I do like the 2 apps being highly integrated as they are in the suite.

Within the past year, I've found that the compatibility between Mozilla and the majority of web sites has become much closer to 100%, probably due to improvements on both sides, and I rarely reach for IE, except to run Windows Update.

There are tab plugins for IE, and IE 7 is supposed to have tabs built in, but I don't know if it will include middle-click functionality, which I think is essential to having useful tabs.

Another major benefit for me with Mozilla has been the excellent pop-up blocking, though XP-SP2 and various other add-ons add popup blocking to IE.

I must confess that I am a die-hard non-IE user, as I have never used IE as my primary browser. I started with Netscape (relative of Mozilla) and other early browsers before IE existed. There was a point where I almost converted to IE, because Netscape 4.7x was getting really old, but decent versions of Mozilla Suite (pre 1.0) came out just in time to save me.

Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Irfanview