Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Primary: 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 AGP, Secondary: ATI mach64 PCI with W2K
Peter   2001-05-29 03:50
I've been hearing a lot about multiple monitor support under W2K, so I tried it last night. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it to work.

I've read ATI cards in general have problems playing second fiddle (being secondary display), is this true? Can anyone confirm/deny this?

I read any PCI card should work as a secondary display, so I was surprised when W2K recognized the card, but didn't display the second monitor in Display Settings panel. All I got in the System program was an exclamation for that ATI display card.

On the ATI site it says to use the Rage drivers for W2K support, but they didn't work either.

I'm now having problems running my sound card. Is there any relationship here? Would changing the PCI slots help?

I would love to hear anyone's ideas if you've run into this before. Thank you very much in advance.
Peter   2001-05-31 03:20
>I've read ATI cards in general have problems playing second fiddle (being secondary display), is this true? Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Yes, this is true for older ATi cards. It says it in a FAQ on ATi's site somewhere (can't remember the link).

>I read any PCI card should work as a secondary display.

The Ati Mach64 WILL NOT WORK as a secondary card in Win2k. I've tried running the exact same configuration as you (well, with a 2000AGP) and you just plain can't do it.

If I was you, see if you can somehow trade the ATi card for something by trident or an s3 virge card. (or maybe just pick one up, they're about $20 used).

Just so you know, I spent about 30 hours all told (one straight weekend and a hour hours a night for a while) before I finally gave up on the mach64.

Peter.
http://www.lightbox.org/~peter/
j terry   2001-05-31 15:05
I had the problem of PCI ATI Xpert 128 (Rage 128) which would not intialize as secondary adapter in Windows 2000 (Using S3 card which cannot serve as secondar adapter in Win2000).

Device manager showed explaination point. Tried all available drivers, PCI slots and AGP/PCI combinations. Tried SIS card as primary. Called ATI, no help.

Then I set the card up in my other computer and it works in that machine. There are lots of variables here , and I don't know the answer, perhaps a motherboard issue (did not work on Abit BH-6, Worked on Abit KT-7).
Peter   2001-06-01 06:56
Thank you both for your messages. And I have given up on the ATI mach64 card. I've been lucky enough to borrow another ATI Millenium card though. I'm hoping I can get that one to work this time. As for spending a lot of time trying to get these cards to work? Yup, been there. :< I haven't spend nearly as much time as you have Peter (30+hrs), WOW! I just hope that I can make it all amount to something (like a second display! :>).

Thanks again.

PS If you have any ideas/suggestions for this card (Millenium), I would love to hear that too! :>
Peter   2001-06-04 03:39
If you can get it working, it's more that worth it. :) After failing on the mach64, I went out and bought a V3-3k for $80 (Cdn) and now I'm up to 3 monitors and loving it!

Peter
Cynan   2001-06-07 21:22
Creative GeForece2 GTS (Primary) and ATI Mach64 (Secondry) works fine for me. I do have to have the ATI card initialised first in the BIOS mind.
bassoprofundo   2001-06-08 01:43
I've got the same type setup as Cynan, only with an ATI Rage Pro Turbo and a Mach64. It works fine for me, but I did have to do some funky bios setup.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Primary: 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 AGP, Secondary: ATI mach64 PCI with W2K