Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Switching to 2nd monitor when running full-screen prog on 1st?
stressed...   2005-06-23 01:34
Hello, I am currently having GREAT difficulty in getting Ultramon to work the way I want it to, its just so confusing!

I have a primary monitor (LCD) and a secondary monitor (CRT).

When I run full-screen programs like Games on my LCD, I want my CRT to be able to display my Desktop, just like my LCD when I am not playing Games. That way when People message me over MSN/ICQ etc I will be able to switch over from the LCD to the CRT WITHOUT having to exit my game, and be able to run my computer as normal on the CRT, like surf the net and stuff.

And of course when I am using my LCD for normal usage I will have no need for my CRT. So I would like my CRT to turn on automatically when I run full-screen programs, and off when I quit my game.

Is this possible with Ultramon? Because what I have managed on my CRT so far is to Mirror what my LCD is doing. But thats it. So can ANYONE PLEASE help me, and THANKS a MILLION in advance for any replies. =D
Reid   2005-06-28 05:39
Don't think so, windows isn't able to keep a full screen app open and use other apps.
Tantalus   2005-06-28 13:09
>>When I run full-screen programs like Games on my LCD, I want my CRT to be able to display my Desktop...able to switch over from the LCD to the CRT WITHOUT having to exit my game, and be able to run my computer as normal on the CRT, like surf the net and stuff.

not possible...closest workaround is to run the game as a windowed app manually sized to near full screen.

>>So I would like my CRT to turn on automatically when I run full-screen programs, and off when I quit my game.

only in your dreams. if you really think about this, then maybe you'll come to understand how this is rather 'complicated' once you really think about it.

let's say you're running 4 programs at once: game, email reader, internet explorer, and mp3 player. you maximize your game. in order to do what you want, the software would need to know what programs to move to the other screen - is it all three or only 1 or 2. because some people might want only certain programs to move over while some others might want all, the software creator would need to come up with a way make this user configureable.

now, let's say a user has 3 displays. if he maximizes the game on #2 (middle monitor) which monitor (#1 or #3) should the program move the programs to.

so what you might think is a simple request suddenly turns into a full-blown, programming task.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Switching to 2nd monitor when running full-screen prog on 1st?