Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Cannot get second monitor in Win98
Bob R   2005-06-28 03:11
I have a 3dFX AGP Voodoo 4500 running in an Athlon running win98SE, that can dual boot into Win XP. It's been working fine for over a year. I decided to upgrade mostly in order to play a game.

Switched to a Gigabyte NVidia FX5200, and had no end of problems, it randomly causes the monitor to clcik and turn off, the system appears to be still running, I just can't see what I'm doing. Sometimes it goes for a whole day, sometimes crashes several times in an hour. This is in Win98SE, I don't use WinXP enough to know if it had the same problems.

Exchanged for a replacement card, in case there were hardware problems - same crashes.

For the first time, I tried to add a second monitor using a Matrox Millenium PCI. I can get this card to work standalone in Win98 and it recognizes the Monitor, but if I have both the AGP and it installed, I get an yellow exclamation mark on it in Device list, and the monitor becomes a default monitor. Attempting to enable it as a second monitor cause a hard crash requiring system reset. The two monitors work ok in Win XP.

If I change the BIOS to make the PCI/Matrox the primary monitor, and the AGP second, it works in win98.

Exchanged the Gigabyte AGP card for an MCI MX4000-T64 nVidia - same problems.

Installed and ran Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all old video drivers, and then started again with only the Matrox/PCI, installed it's drivers first, and then added the MCI/nVidia.

Same problems - device manager shows the matrox with a yellow exclamation mark, the second monitor as a default one, and I can't enable the second monitor, since Display Properties shows I have TWO!! MCI video cards, not one MCI and one Matrox.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Cannot get second monitor in Win98