Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Matrox Millennium G450 PCI review
Christian Studer   2001-06-02 13:10
If you are shopping for a secondary video card, the Matrox G450 PCI might be a good choice. Read the review for an in-depth look at this inexpensive dualhead card.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Tony   2002-01-14 22:49
Well I actually am looking for a G400 DH PCI as a secondary VGA card. My main use for 2 (3) monitors would be working on CAD/CAE programs. I would like to "park" the tools and message windows on the other monitor(s), to increase the workspace. The program I am using the most right now is SDRC I-DEAS, which I am running in open GL.

Now many posts in the database indicate problems with openGL. My main AGP card is currently a MX2 using soft Quadro. I have 2 extra monitors not in use, but don't really NEED a triple setup. should what I am planning not work -!PLEASE REPLY!- I would just go with a dual setup with ATI or something that would support my plans.
Thanx for any help, Tony.

-nobody rides for free-
Christian Studer   2002-01-14 23:07
Shouldn't be a problem with Windows 2000 or XP, you'll get OpenGL acceleration on the primary.

See the OpenGL FAQ for more information.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Tony   2002-01-15 05:30
Hey - Thanx for the quick reply!

is there any >real< difference between a G400 and a G450? AFAICR the G450 just has faster core and mem? I could be wrong there. I'm having a really hard time finding a used G400 DH PCI. I don't really think, that a G450 DH PCI is really worth something like $120. That's the price I could order it for, dirctly from Matrox.
Do you have any experience with those old S3 based Miro Twin cards (Miro 40SV twin PCI 6MB; or MIRO Crystal 22 SD Twin) .

They're both listed in the Win98 compatability list for multi monitor support, but unfourtunatly I found no such example in your database. Of couse I would want to use them for the same purpose.
Thanx again for your help.
Tony.

-nobody rides for free-
Tony   2002-01-26 05:39
Hey I really need some help now. I bought a Creative 3D Blaster PCI (TNT 1 chip) for 25 EURO as my second card.

first problem:

I could get both to work in Win 98 SE setting the PCI card to primary in BIOS. But the option to set the other card (GeForce2 MX, AGP) as primary was deactivated. Is there someting I have to hack into the registry?

I've basically all but abandoned Win 98, and prefer using Win2K which is installed on my D: partition.
If I try to boot from the PCI card, I get to the loading Win 2K window, then the AGP monitor seems to get a signal, and the everything freezes. I am typing this thread in Win2K, AGP as primary in BIOS. When I try to activate the second Monitor in the display properties, the AGP screen goes blank for a second, comes back, without any changes.

Thanx for any help.
Tony.

-nobody rides for free-
Christian Studer   2002-01-26 11:05
Win98/Me can't change the primary monitor, the one that is primary in BIOS will also be primary in Windows.

Try installing the same Nvidia reference drivers for both cards. If you have problems with the latest version, try the 12.41s (available here).

kastelan   2002-06-03 06:46
Interesting, I'm thinking about second graph. card for my sytem long time. Now I work with Duron 900MHz, Geforce 2MX AGP. But what you think, can I have Matrox G450 in PCI with DualHead disabled and still work in OpenGL on both monitors?
Christian Studer   2002-06-03 13:44
I didn't get OpenGL acceleration on the Matrox when it wasn't the primary monitor, I don't think it will help if you use single-head mode.

Jordan   2002-06-04 03:44
Know anywhere I can pick up a dualhead PCI card cheap?
DUran   2002-09-22 01:08
Do NOT buy Matrox G450 for DTP/Prepress Dual setups. The second head is not colormanageable. (single LUT)
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Matrox Millennium G450 PCI review