Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 7800gt second card compatibility
David Newton   2005-08-13 20:54
I will be purchasing a new video card for a system with a 7800gt pci-e 16X and three monitors. There are no systems in your database that have the 7800gt in them for me to model mine after. I need a card that can do 1600x1200 but high end 3d (dx9) is not a requirement unless compatibility dictates it to be. I am very much an amature in this game and seek some friendly guidence. I know ati cards don't work with nvidia anymore, but beyond that I am lost. Can I use any old pci nvidia card, I have no idea. What about matrox? I'm just guessing here..

additionally, I will be playing most of the new games on my computer and will be occasionally updating the drivers for the 7800gt. Will this cause me to institutionalize myself or is this going to be easy?

help

Satan oscillate my metallic sonatas.
Tantalus   2005-08-15 02:17
>>Can I use any old pci nvidia card, I have no idea. What about matrox? I'm just guessing here..

how old is the pci card? even though many of the nvida chipsets use a common driver set, i'm a firm believer in the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) rule. typically, if you can use a card that has native driver support from MS and the MS driver is solid, that's the way to go.

>>additionally, I will...be occasionally updating the drivers for the 7800gt. Will this cause me to institutionalize myself or is this going to be easy?

updating drivers is always a shot in the dark.

the new driver might fix previous bugs, but it may potentially introduce new ones. again, unless you stand to get some real performance gains (getting a fews extra FPS isn't that big a deal), my experience is stick with the older driver if it's working for you.

i rarely upgrade existing drivers in deployment, but when i build a new system, i will try the latest version. i keep all the old versions on cd though, because i have gone back to older versions when problems surfaced.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 7800gt second card compatibility