Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ATI Rage Mobility M1 on Dell Latitude
Dave   2005-08-26 00:44
Hi,

Can anyone help me?

I have a Dell Latitude CPt (yes I know it's ancient) with an ATI Rage Mobility M1 graphics chip.

I would like to be able run dual display on it (ie separate displays on internal and external screens).

The machine is currently running Win2K, and I can't get it to work using the Dell drivers. I am using driver version M6.11.106-T01 (the latest) from the Dell website. I think this is because of the well-known issue with Windows 2K and single-engine graphics chips.

Are there any alternative drivers available that will work?

Alternatively, I can upgrade the OS to WinXP. The Dell drivers for this say "No Extended Desktop or Dual View support", which doesn't sound hopeful. In addition, Dell don't support WinXP on this laptop, so I don't know what other driver problems I'll run into.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Tantalus   2005-08-26 05:20
i'm pretty sure that the laptop chipset doesn't support an independent 2nd output. any display connected to the vga-output will be a 'cloned' version of the laptop lcd.

finding a newer driver isn't going to help you.
Christian Studer   2005-08-26 22:44
If I remember correctly, the Rage Pro driver from www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/ does support extended desktop under Windows XP, and is compatible with the M1. Might be worth a try if you decide to install XP.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ATI Rage Mobility M1 on Dell Latitude