Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Problem: Dual display with ATI Mobility Fire GL T2 and W2k
holgi-cs   2005-08-26 02:58
Hi out there,

I have an R50p with ATI Mobility Fire GL T2 graphics and Win 2000 installed. I know that this video card supports multi monitors.

But I'm having problems using my laptop-monitor as a second monitor. I can stretch the desktop, so that it covers both monitors, but what I really want is for it to function as a monitor itself (where I can run for example Outlook, while working with Excel on the other monitor).

This causes the following problems:

- using different resolutions (1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1024) for each monitor is not possible - instead of that the desktop is stretched to a resolution of 3200 x 1200)
- windows are maximized to the desktop instead of the monitor they are on, and dialog boxes appear centered on the desktop, split across monitors. Software included with the card may be used to work around these problems though
- taskbar is extended across both monitors instead of only a single one

There is only on display shown in the display settings of W2k and I have no chance to activate the second monitor to get an "extended desktop"

I read already that this is a W2k problem - there are no such problems with Win XP.

Any idea what to do?
BTW: Newest IBM driver for the video card is installed.

Regards, Holger
holgi-cs   2005-08-26 02:59
sorry, I forgot: The laptop is an IBM Thinkpad R50p...
Barnaby   2005-09-02 04:44
Hi,

I have the same problem using the non-Mobility FigreGL T2-128 card on Win2000 sp4. ATI says that we're out of luck, and to upgrade to XP. Another unsupported potential fix is to download and install the ATI Catalyst Control Center for RADEON cards for Win2k. I tried this, but it requires the MS .NET framework to install, and I cannot install the .NET framework for some reason, so I am SOL.

Barnaby
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Problem: Dual display with ATI Mobility Fire GL T2 and W2k