Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Database field PCI-Express needed
Martin Smallridge   2005-09-06 09:41
Dunno how many other people have felt this but the utility and usefulness of the database is now severely compromised as people have started listing their configs as PCI or AGP when they've actually got a PCI-E card that they're using.

As such the database really could use the addition of that extra value so we can start recording the PCI-E configs that I know people are trying.

Thanks in advance for any work on that score.. I know it's thankless but it would be a massive help..

Cheers
Christian Studer   2005-09-07 07:10
I'm currently considering dropping the database, but if it will be continued a PCIe option will certainly be added.

From what I've seen over the last couple of months, video card compatibility is no longer really an issue, recent cards will usually just work fine as secondary.

If there are still issues, it seems to be related more to other factors than the video card itself, or the other installed video cards.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Martin Smallridge   2005-09-09 03:02
I'll be honest, I'm not convinced that dropping the database would be a good move.

Take my own experience for example... I've found that some weird combinations of Graphics cards will work together but only a set way...

If anything I'd seriously consider putting together a new database that starts over and provides less ambiguity (ie: custom fields that aren't moderated) and a more broken down, set format..

The db's utility at the moment is somewhat limited as people called the same thing something different through sheer laziness of not looking for matches or just lack of tech knowledge that something is the same.

Either way, I suspect the way things are going with PCIexpress, it's going to be worth it... well from our end-user end to have that db running right :)

I'll leave it with you anyways...

Martin
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Database field PCI-Express needed