Forums -> Multiple monitors -> setting up the UltraMon program
Judy   2005-09-15 11:07
I have used this program before, but now I cannot set it up after returning from vacation where I just used my laptop.

Is there a more detailed manual?

All I want is to use my LCD flat panel screen instead of the laptop screen for obvious size of laptop screen reasons.

I don't want anything fancy, just want to be able to have my icons and task bar on the LCD screen, and that seems to be the case that the LCD even though it is #2, it needs to be primary, but primary is grayed out. Don't care if the laptop also has same, but I keep the laptop shut.

Somehow, I am a really a newbie here. I cannot understand any of the Help instructions.
Christian Studer   2005-09-16 00:01
UltraMon won't help with this, but you can set the external monitor as primary via the settings for your video card (usually a tab under advanced display properties).

Most laptops also have a special function key to switch between the internal and external monitor.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Judy   2005-09-16 06:32
Thanks for your answer.

I have been wowrking at this problem for the last
6 hours and havae searched the tech support & forum questions and answers at Dell, nVIDIA, this forum, other tech forums such as Windows BBS & Experts,etc. AND this forum comes the closest to giving me the answer, but I still cannot figure it out.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 with GeForce 4 440 Go. I have tried to find on the nVIDIA menu page the place to tell the system to make my external monitor the primary monitor, but I cannot find it.

My external monitor only shows the desktop picture and only shows the buttons in the task bar of the programs opened. It does not show the systray. I just re-installed XP, and have downloaded all windows updates, etc. In reading the nVIDIA page, I understood NOT to download any drivers.

Is there another place to search?

Thanks so much for any additional help.
Christian Studer   2005-09-16 09:02
For my desktop Nvidia card, the setting is on the Nvidia tab under nView Display Settings.

Please note that if you use the default Windows driver for the video chipset, you most likely won't have an Nvidia tab under advanced display properties.

Judy   2005-09-16 09:34
I did try to download the nVIDIA drivers and got the message -- "could not find drivers compatible with currernt hardware" -- so installation failed.

All I want is to be able to use the larger screen on my external monitor.....

Is there another way to do this with Ultramon?

Somehow how got it to work earlier this summer.
Christian Studer   2005-09-16 22:35
Laptop video chipsets usually don't support changing the primary monitor via UltraMon, you'll need to do this via the display driver.

Did you try installing the drivers from Dell for the video chipset?

Judy   2005-09-17 04:54
Yes, I did all that you suggested prior.

I did find the answer as to how to activate the 2nd monitor on another BBS.

Very simple solution, but hard to find it.

All I wanted from Ultramon was the same thing, and a better manual.

Ultramon does not do a good job of explaining the product.

Why did I buy it ??
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> setting up the UltraMon program