Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help with 2x FX5200 Dual Monitors
Andy   2005-09-29 20:18
I have 1x AGP FX5200 128MB and 1x PCI FX5200 128MB card installed on my machine running Windows XP SP2. I've setup the drivers and both the adapters and the monitors appear in the device manager, but only the AGP monitor works...

The other monitor during bootup displays the message "display mode not supported" and goes to sleep.

When I try and change the screen resolution/frequency for the monitor not working it just resets the settings page back to the previous setting and no monitor activity. If I try and click extend desktop in the settings the machine locks when the apply button is clicked.

During boot the boot, BIOS only shows one video card during hardware detection ?

Anyone got any ideas, I'm lost.. totally
TIA
ECarlson   2005-10-01 06:37
Try setting PCI to primary in your BIOS to see what happens. You can also try removing the AGP card to see what happens.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Andy   2005-10-01 19:45
Thanks for the reply....

I tried this already, in Windows XP both the cards get recognised but I then can only see one monitor in the device manager. This in turn only allows me to setup one card in the settings page as there is no combobox selection to select another card.

Both the cards work fine and both the monitors work fine, when running seperately.
Jonathan   2005-10-01 23:05
Sounds similar to the problem I'm having, except that monitors on my second card don't display any error states, and don't sleep - they just don't get drawn to.

I've read back through several hundred messages in this forum, and there are a few troubleshooting recommendations you may want to look for. They didn't solve my problem, but they may help you.

- Jonathan Murray
profutrader   2005-10-09 01:34
Not to worry.I have the same setup as you. Had some problems recently after I changed the monitors orientation etc. Had the primary monitor got to sleep after switching on the computer.

My solution : make sure you have all monitors connected - quad right?

Then look at the bottom task bar. Find an icon that is related to the montitors setup- eg Nvidia etc. depending on your graphics card.
Then try the various options available there. (monitors setup or similar - do not mess with the other stuff like resolution etc etc.)

You will probably find the monitors models etc with the options. Once you can locate the Primary monitors then use the Properties to asign all the different monitors according to their spatial arrangment.

Hope this helps. :)
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help with 2x FX5200 Dual Monitors