Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Confused - 2 Graphic cards.
Matt   2005-09-30 04:03
I was wondering firstly if nvidia or ati had any dual DVI support - from what I can see not really (don't want a draftsmen type card for 2d.. I'm a gamer). So I assume that I have to buy 2 graphics cards and do it that way.. fine, my question is:

Which of the two video cards will be used for the games - should I get 2 identical ones.. (I assume thats pointless), in which case do I get one good one to be the work horse and one crap one just to display the second monitor?

Can someone please explain how this works, it seems like another whole graphics card just for a little DVI slot.

- Matt

P.S Can you get DVI - VGA connecters, so a card that supports DVI and VGA can support dual DVI?
Matt   2005-10-01 06:13
Bump
ECarlson   2005-10-01 06:51
There are lots of Dual-DVI ATI and NVidia based cards available. Just go to NewEgg, go to the video card selector and for Number of DVI ports, select 2. They have over 70 models of Dual-DVI cards currently available.

The cheapest Dual-DVI card is an NVidia based AGP card, and is $120. For PCIe, the cheapest Dual-DVI is ATI based, and is $150. Of course, they have plenty of others, all the way up to a $1,739 NVidia based Dual-DVI card.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Matt   2005-10-02 03:30
Thanks that helps a lot, but to be honest the point of my post (which seemed to be riddle with questions) was:

If I get 2 graphic cards to enabled dual monitors, which card is the workhorse for games? Is it both (assume its not, that'd be like SLI)? Does the primary run everything and the secondary card just enabled a second monitor - in which case if this is true do I just buy an absolute bucket?

- Matt
ECarlson   2005-10-02 03:47
If you want to run 2 cards for 2 monitors, and only plan to play games on the primary card (which is all that many games can do these days, except for flight-sim), then the second card can be an old clunker, since it won't be used by the games.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Matt   2005-10-02 06:46
Cheers, seems a bit pointlesss. I guess if I'm going to get 2 new LCD's I might aswell not be a tight a** and get a decent graphics card with 2 DVI.

Thanks a bunch.. in the not too distant future I will be a member/user/something

- Matt

P.S Thanks again
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Confused - 2 Graphic cards.