Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Video card adapter
barro   2005-10-03 21:05
i just got a new dell xps and i wanted to connect my old video card up so i could use 2 monitors but i cant get the video card to fit, casing is in the way. i was thinkin about chopping a hole in the back of it. but id prefer not to screw up my brand new pc. is it possible to get some kind of adapter to connect a video card to the motherboard?
ECarlson   2005-10-06 10:01
Sounds like you have a low profile case, so you need to buy a low profile video card, and you might want one with dual outs, so you don't have to worry about conflicts with the onboard video.

If you have a full size case, then I don't understand your situation.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
barro   2005-10-06 21:34
sorry im quite clueless about this whole thing, but i hav a spare video card and a spare monitor so i thought it would b kinda cool to hook em both up.

im pretty sure its not a low profile case. (im not exactly sure what a low profile case is but i presume its just a smaller case, right?)
this is her! mine isnt as new as this one but simular and as u can see its pretty big! could it be that my current video card is ATI and the old one is nVidia? and my computer isnt compatible with nVidia?
Tantalus   2005-10-07 01:49
judging from the back, that dell should accept full size backplane cards.

what exactly do you mean that the casing is in the way when you try to insert the video card? incidentally what model card are you planning to use.
ECarlson   2005-10-07 14:08
Sounds like it should fit. NVidia and ATI cards fit in the same size slots. Can you post a photo of everything so we can see what the issue is?

ECarlson   2005-10-07 14:11
Maybe you're trying to put an AGP card in a new PCIe or old PCI slot, or something like that, which won't work, but the slot openings on the back of the case are normal size, and there is no other size slot opening, other than the low-profile I mentioned earlier, which you don't have.

Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Video card adapter