Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi Monitor without Administrator Rights
Honk   2005-10-05 02:31
Hi Guys,

I have got the following problem:
I am working on a PC without Admin rights and there won't be any admin help for this problem: I would like to run two monitors in span mode. Unfortunately clone mode seems to windows default, which is not even useless but also very annoying. In general I would just open the settings tab of the display properties, but that is not available for normal users. There is also no access to the registry, no access to the display drivers and no way of installing software.
The only thing I can do is to open applications. Is there a tool which can change the display modes without installing it? Or is there a different way like just rebooting, putting on just one monitor then the other (and maybe pushing the F2 key :-))?
If not, I can probably dump my second display...
I hope that someone has got any information. Thanx in advance.
Tantalus   2005-10-06 00:58
some of the display setting changes don't require you to have admin level access. but this machine sounds like it has been secured in some way (either via group or local policies and/or inclu registry security changes).

in order to set the displays in spanned mode, both monitors must be connected to the *same* video card. so if you don't have such a configuration, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

assuming that you are using a dual-display card, then i suggest that you contact your local IT guy and have him make the display changes for you as an admin. i can't see why anyone in IT would object if use of a second monitor was appproved by your supervisor.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi Monitor without Administrator Rights