Forums -> Multiple monitors -> like your monitors? PAINT THEM
kelesh   2001-06-12 08:26
Yep... put them face down and take them apart. Paint them with 2-3 thin coats (1 hour to dry in between) of high gloss spray paint. Also, you can pop out the buttons and spray them a complementary color and then put them back together later.
There ya go... A few bucks and a few hours and you don't have to stare at that terrible beige color again. I did silver buttons on a black casing.
Pictures in the gallery in a few day.

just an idea...
:)
kelesh   2001-06-19 19:37
web.mit.edu/kelesh/public/paintjob

w00t w00t!
kelesh   2001-06-19 19:39
doh! link bad.

http://web.mit.edu/Public/paintjob

:)
kelesh   2001-06-19 19:41
alright.... this is getting pathetic..
i'm very tired and i keep typing this link wrong.

FINALLY!
Paul   2001-07-30 10:42
Shot2 doesn't work.

You don't have permission to access /kelesh/Public/paintjob/shot2.jpg on this server.

Btw, is the spray-painted surface sticky?
neal graham   2001-08-03 09:18
nice duct-tape job...........

neal
kelesh   2001-08-03 20:53
i'm a fool.

pics
kelesh   2001-08-03 20:54
oh yeah, the air conditioner work was my roommate. Hehe. duct tape is what holds the world together.

No the surfaces are not sticky. I got a new burner and a new dvd drive, and painted them both all black.
gosharks   2001-08-15 04:03
I do not recommend painting monitors. Yes the back bucket is relatively easy to remove, on most monitors 4 screws and it's off. However removing the front bezel is much more difficult. Usually the user control button assembly is mounted to the front bezel, meaning disconnecting wires etc. Do not try to paint the monitor with the plastics on. Paint is full of metals and other conductive materials that can bridge gaps between high voltage circuits and I don't need to tell you what will happen. Can you say smoke gets in your eyes. Painting may void any warranty you may have.

Avoid costly hospital or funeral costs, do not open your monitor unless you are trained and comfortable around extreme high voltage.

If you succeed in painting the unit, it will be very prone to scratches even if you use a good primer.

Good Luck

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / MOnitorsdirect.com
Chris   2001-08-25 08:45
Agreed! Never mind that plastic doesn't like being painted much (paint on plastic often cracks because the plastic has more flex to it than most store-bought paints). Just opening your monitor up is asking for a world of hurt! The monitor's capacitor can hold a deadly amount of static electricity for many years after the last time the monitor was turned on, and it's not that well protected from your highly conductive fingertips once you remove the monitor's outer shell.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> like your monitors? PAINT THEM