Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 1of 2 cards/ 3 monitors not recognized
steve   2005-10-14 09:43
I have a Windows XP system with an existing nvidia GeForce3 ti500 AGP card hooked up to a Sony SDM-HS75 monitor. I added an nvidia GeForce FX 5500 PCI card to two old but well-functioning NEC MultiSync XV15+ monitors.

I put the FX 5500 card in my 1st PCI slot. When I powered everything up, I was able to get the PCI card and attached monitors working fine, but the system no longer recognized my ti500 card in the AGP slot, nor the Sony monitor. I can't change it in my settings, and I have no sign of an AGP card in my BIOS.

Anyone have any bright ideas to get these 3 working in sync? I know the ti500 can work in a multi-monitor system, as there are a few in our database here. I'd appreciate your help, and talk slowly as I am only semi-literate in computer geek lingo. :) Thanks
ECarlson   2005-10-14 13:56
Did you try other PCI slots?

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
steve   2005-10-16 03:12
An update...computers are weird!

I switched the PCI card to the last slot. Still the same situation as outlined above.

I then pulled the PCI card out and hoped that the computer would recognize (as before) the AGP card. But it didn't!!!! I was really frazzled. :(

I then simply removed the AGP card, and then put it right back in. It worked!!! Explain that quirk to me!?!?!?!

But then I still faced my original dilemma of trying to get the computer to recognize both cards and all three monitors. I went back to square one. So I put the PCI card back in the 1st slot, kept the AGP card in, and VOILA ---- NOW IT WORKED!!!! I don't know how, or why, it worked now but didn't the 1st time, but it did. I am completely baffled but happy that it is (apparently) ok. COMPUTERS ARE WEIRD!

Thanks for the input.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 1of 2 cards/ 3 monitors not recognized