Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi-monitors and laptops
alphadog   2001-06-14 05:36
I'm a programmer who like to have two or three monitors in use while coding for display of code, docs, execution, etc...

I have always had a desktop but would like to consider a laptop. However, I don't want to be limited to one monitor. I'd like to hear if
there are any solutions to this problem. Are there laptops that have two, or maybe even three, video outputs with decent quality? I'd like to hear from anyone who managed to get some setup like this going. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Christian Studer   2001-06-14 13:54
There are basically two ways of doing this: with PCMCIA video cards or additional video cards in the docking station. See the laptop FAQ for more information.

I'm using my laptop as a multi-monitor test system, with a Margi Display-to-Go PCMCIA card for the second monitor. With Win2000 I can't use the built-in second VGA output, but with Win9x I could run 3 monitors with this setup.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
alphadog   2001-06-15 06:38
Cool. Thanks. I must have missed that FAQ on your site. BTW, kudos for a wealth of free information. I really enjoy your site.

Incidentally, does using a card limit the video? Are there bandwidth limitations that could affect the topmost resolution or refresh?
Christian Studer   2001-06-16 13:53
Both the Display-to-Go and Traveler only have 4 MB RAM.

See the reviews for maximum resolutions/refresh rates: Display-to-Go, Traveler

Maximum refresh rates are a bit low for both cards, but if you use an LCD monitor, this won't be an issue.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
alphadog   2001-06-18 00:42
Thanks. Your advice was top-notch.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi-monitors and laptops