Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 LCDs - Pair of nVidia 6600 GT's?
New to MMD   2005-10-29 16:56
I'm new to this MMD stuff. I'm trying to put together a decent system without spending a fortune. I know this stuff isn't cheap, but I *think* there are less expensive, although just as effective, ways to do it, and that's what I'm trying to learn.

I want to put together a 3 monitor setup using 19" Hyundai L90D+'s. They seem to offer the most bang for the buck on the low-mid end, at around $320 each.

I want to be able to add a fourth monitor later.

The primary uses will be financial applications, but also mechanical 3D CAD (SolidWorks) as well as software development. Plus, if I ever have any free time, I'd like to be able to play some games on this setup as I think that would be incredible. First-person shooters like Counter-Strike and the like.

So, I'm trying to find a pair of video cards that will allow me to accomplish the above, without spending $1500 per card.

I've looked at the nVidia 6600/6800 series stuff, as well as the Quadro, and a couple of the Matrox products.

The Quadro stuff is so expensive.

Will a pair of nVidia 6600 GT's work well for my application?

Are there any decent 'workstation' type cards that would work better without costing a fortune?

I know there are plenty of workstation type cards that excel at text and 2D stuff, some at 3D stuff like CAD, but I don't know if these same cards would work well with video games also?

I want to get a dual PCIe motherboard so that I can use two PCIe video cards.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a motherboard/processor combo? Something decent, with good speed, without being the absolute fastest/most expensive?
Zardoz   2005-11-19 14:14
yes it will work...

Zardoz
Tantalus   2005-11-19 15:28
i would recommend an AMD64 x2 dual core cpu paired with DFI lanparty nf4 mobo.

has everything you'd want incl two pci-e x16 slots.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 LCDs - Pair of nVidia 6600 GT's?