Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can't get second monitor going
TomO   2005-11-04 08:15
I'm having trouble getting a second monitor to work. I have an Intel 915 chipset with an onboard PCI adapter. I'm trying to add an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI adapter.

If I install the Radeon card and connect a monitor to it, I get the boot screens (and can access the BIOS) and it starts the Windows splash screen but then stops.

I suspect there is contention for some resource, but I don't know how to troubleshoot the problem. Any ideas? I don't mind disabling the onboard PCI and adding 2 Radeon cards, if necessary, but I don't know how to disable the onboard adapter - my BIOS (AMIBIOS) doesn't seem to let me disable it.

Any ideas on what I should try?

TomO
Roger   2005-11-04 09:25
I believe that the Intel 915 is actually treated as an internal AGP card. I would imagine that the rule about only having one AGP card per system would apply.
Hence, to add another card, it would have to be PCI (Not PCI-E) or the internal would have to be disabled.
Or I'm just talking out my a$$.
TomO   2005-11-04 23:00
Would I need to somehow physically disable the onboard card? Or just disable it via the device manager (XP PRO)?

TomO
TomO   2005-11-08 07:43
I finally figured it out. I needed to upgrade the drivers for the Intel chipset. Everything works fine now.

Thank you.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can't get second monitor going