Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ANYONE RUNNING MULTY MON WITH FS2000 OR ANY FLIGHT SIMULATOR??
buzzman   2001-06-17 07:42
Any input on this subject would be helpful. Currently running (2) monitors on two machines Via local net. If i want to expand i,ll have to build more machines . Not economic!

Thanks Buzzman

1.33 OC to 1.580 iwell kk266-r w98se stock bios
Christian Studer   2001-06-20 11:24
Works fine for small views or instrument panels, fullscreen views on secondary monitors slowed down FS2000 considerably (you don't get 3D acceleration on secondary monitors). I only have a P2-400 though (dual, but FS2000 uses only 1 CPU), you may get better results with a faster CPU.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
we-all-wish   2001-12-13 02:32
I use multiple monitors with FS98.
I pull up FS navigator on the 2nd screen
and use the primary for the sim..
Works fine..the overhead map view with the aircraft orientation plainly visible is a great assistant for anything you want to do in FS.
Eugenio   2002-01-20 15:38
I am running FS2K on 3 monitors and jus 1 PC.
1 AGP for outside view.
2 PCI for pilot/engine panels.

They work quite fine, but can't make them start up this way. I have to set them up each time it starts, because panel01 (engines) allways starts docked (even though it is set up as undocked through the .flt and panel.cfg).

Any Ideas?

Please advise (fenix_digital@ciudad.com.ar)

Thanks a lot.

Eugenio.
Buenos Aires
Ar
sam   2002-01-22 16:07
I am running flight sim 2000 with main view on 2 monitors for an extra large view of the world with 3d accelleration. This can be done with a dual head video card. I use a 3rd monitor for controls and such.
HReiss   2002-03-21 07:44
Well Hello there...

Looks like I found some multi-mon flight simmers :) Birds of a feather...

I built an Athlon TBird 800 system and have had 3 monitors going for over a year. Fairly solid with browsers and spreadsheets.

I finally got around to hooking up yoke and pedals and loaded FS2002 (I read that this had better frame rates).

Using Gainward CardExpert GF2MX with Dual CRT-VGA connectors...

and Voodoo 3-2000...

I setup with primary monitor forward, secondary monitor angled forward left, and third monitor driven by Voodoo directly to my left.

The idea was to fly proper left hand landing patterns in the Cessna 172.

Seems the use of the second and third monitors kills performance. Everything becomes choppy and hard to control. I spent a day tweaking to lower various scenery settings and will do some more, but...

Anybody know how I can tweak or buy (for not too much money) my way to reasonable performance??

Am I setup wrong in FS2002?

Do I need better video cards? More memory (have 256)? Processor (my board can probably take a 1.4 GHz)...but I probably can't afford to do it all.

Would using discrete video cards for each monitor help?

Thanks for any thoughts.

HR
HReiss   2002-03-30 10:28
Thanks for all the inputs. I have been busy trying various combos.

I turned all settings down in FS2002, dumped the GF2 MX dual head in favor of an ebay used Voodoo 5.

Good news, bad news:

Tripled my FPS, but only from 2 FPS to 6 FPS.

As already noted by several, the instrument panels and some misc views do not hurt performance that much.

But as before, undocking a view that looks out the aircraft windows and dragging it from primary monitor to another monitor results in a very large hit on FPS.

With the GF2 MX or the V5 it is easy to get a solid 20 FPS on the primary monitor but opening up undocked views of the outside world on the other monitors takes the FPS down quickly.

The only viable solutions I have seen are networking multiple computers, each runnning it's own copy of FS2002. I have seen screen shots of up to 5 large outside world views running simultaneously on four computers. Can't afford it but may try to buy used parts for a second system. Here the problem is, it must be a fairly capable second system that can also run FS2002. My beater MMX 200 will not cut it I'm sure.

I have just added another V5 (PCI version) and am tweaking it but don't expect a whole lot of improvement. I am also considering going to my ancient copy of FS 98 and running that until this gets solved by MS FS team or a third party. Not sure that even FS 98 can do the three or four screens that I need without dragging CPU down but will try.

From looking at lotsa forums and talking with others I have put together a theory. Feel free to correct me or add to the debate if you think I'm wrong.

DirectX 8 is the first DirectX version to have built in support for HW acceleration on all monitors in a multi-mon setup. The MS FS team probably did not have access to or confidence in this latest version of DirectX early enough in the development of FS2002 to include multi-mon HW support in the game.

If enough people ask for it, MS FS team will probably add it for FS 2004 :)

So if your interested, ask away by emailing

Tell_FS@microsoft.com

Happy flying.

HR
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ANYONE RUNNING MULTY MON WITH FS2000 OR ANY FLIGHT SIMULATOR??