Forums -> Multiple monitors -> two nVidia cards (device manager error)
Brennan   2005-12-25 05:42
Current APG graphics card; Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT
runs two monitors perfectly fine.

I added a PCI graphics card; Nvidia GeForce 5200
for a third monitor

The third monitor is shown under display properties, but when I try to attach it, my computer freezes, and I need to reboot.

The computer reconizes the card under video adapters and lists no problems under the device manager. However I think it is an IRQ problem because ever since I installed the new 5200 video card, a sound adapter in now listed under the device manager showing errors, and when I disable it I loose the video card.

It seems that :: k2 :: wrote in the config section of this website that he has a similar setup in terms of video cards and was able to get them working together as quoted "Some minor problems with system startup and nv4_disp.dll, but after some configuration it worked fine."

Curious what configuration steps were taken. Assign new IRQ in BIOS maybe?

thanks for the help

Brennan
ECarlson   2005-12-26 03:48
Have you tried the PCI card in other PCI slots?

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Brennan   2005-12-26 07:56
I tried both the first and last PCI slot, no luck.

I was looking on ABIT website, and it looks like they have an updated the BIOS for the AV8 motherboard which claims better PCI and AGP support for video cards. I am going to update and flash the BIOS, maybe that will help.

Brennan
ECarlson   2005-12-31 01:11
The BIOS update is always the first thing I do before adding new hardware or installing the OS. I had assumed you had already done that. Let us know if it fixes the problem.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Woods   2006-01-05 00:28
I had the problem when I installed nVidia QuadroFX 4000 and another dualhead nvidia pci from scratch. The problem was the driver : installing the driver for Quadrofx was no problem. But when I installed the driver for the pci, then there was a blue screen and lockup. I only needed 1 driver to drive both videocards. So, don't install drivers for both.

I hope it helps.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> two nVidia cards (device manager error)