Forums -> Multiple monitors -> the old win2k multimon problem:: any fixes yet? (running gf3,mm2,mm+tb@1.6)
dodger   2001-06-24 13:03
hi, long time since i dropped by.

i use now since long time multi monitor solutions. starting bakc to the time when i used a hercules besides a 16 bit ISA-VGA with Quarterdecks DesQview hehe ;)
ok
i asked some months before that time running a asus 7700agp together with a matrox millenium2pci if there are any ways avoiding a restart cause of accelerating features getting disabled after the reenabling after disabling seconadry cards (to play certain older directX games and than re-enabling it)
(means you have to disable scondary displays for some games. but when you reenable them you lose accelerator features of your primary card)

so far i tested every detonator driver and the problem remained.
im not going back to 5.xx detonator where in our last thread this bug was said to not occur.

nowdays i use a
gainward geforce3 64mb ddr + matrox millenium 2 + matrox mystique

how you can see in the picture

while as far as i dont have to disable the other monitors there is no problem in normal operation and also the current games dont need anymore switching anything off i still have a big problem.

when i have to restart the system 70% of the time one or both of the additional displays have distortion (mostly on the mystique) and usually half images after a restart on the millenium) i can fix that by switching them down to 256 colors and than back to 16 bit which usually fixes it.
fixes it as long the system doesnt hangs while switching the cards back or to the certain mode.
you cant belive how anoying this can be. while often i get no prob restarting the system, sometimes - mostly when i have to try out something and ahve no time restarting 80 times - they hang even at first change etc.

does anyone knows if we still are up to see a patch from microsoft?
related to previous articles here the bug seems to be a corelation between nvidia and microsoft which makes it harder to track down.

system specs:

athlon 1.33 @ 1.6
swiftech 462
forton 400watt
asus a7v-133
512mb pc-133 2-3-2
gainward geforce3 64mb ddr @ 235 / 500
detonator 12.90
matrox millenium 2
matrox driver 5.33 - busmaster: off
matorx mystique 2
matrox driver 5.33 - busmaster: off
soundblaster live!
(newest sb live! drivers, duno what version)
Raid 0 Stripping 2x 30gb 307030 IBM
1x 307030 on via on via southbridge
1x toshiba dvd on via southbridge
1x sony cd-rw on via southbridge

Win 2k Service pack 2
DirectX 8.0a
dodger   2001-06-29 08:36
just as note:

i replaced the via kt133a asus a7v-133 with an apox 8k7a+ (amd761) and these switching problems when rebooting dont occur.
all runs just fine. very odd.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> the old win2k multimon problem:: any fixes yet? (running gf3,mm2,mm+tb@1.6)