Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Please help me choose my system
Jim   2006-01-13 05:10
Hello,

I want to put together a multi monitor system using three 19" LCDs. It will be used primarily for stock charting and I won't be playing games on it so I don't think I need a supper sophisticated system.

Would be best to use the same video cards for all the monitors? Is there a card that will support all three monitors? Are they available for AGP slots?

Would it be worth it to use DVI or would regular analog 15 pin interface be adequate?

How much memory should the video card have?

How much memory should my system have?

Is there anything else I may have forgotten?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jim
James E.   2006-01-14 05:22
I would go with an SLI board with two PCIe 16x slots. I bought a couple of XFX 6600 GT cards for just over $130 each -- they are nothing special, but will get the job done. This way, you'll have four video outputs available even though you only want to use three at the moment. Also, DVI is a good way to go. If you need VGA, you can buy DVI to VGA converters for a fairly cheap price (most video cards will come with at least one DVI->VGA converter). Here's an example system that should work pretty well for you:

Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI
Video Card (x2): Geforce 6600 GT (Keep in mind that you can go with pretty much any pcie 16x video card here. However, I would go with one that has two dvi heads and is SLI-ready if you ever do plan on playing a newer game.)
Memory: I wouldn't go with anything less than 1GB of RAM. My idea of a good setup would be two 1GB sticks of ram set up in dual channel mode.

Hope this helps!
Jim   2006-01-14 11:21
James E. (my middle initial is 'E', too :-) ),

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! I'm not too familiar with DVI. Does this always mean you can hook too monitors to a single DVI port? If it does, would 128M be enough for four 19" LCD monitors? 20" monitors?

Thanks!

Jim
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Please help me choose my system