Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Monitor Interference
Animositas   2006-01-29 04:50
I have 2 monitors: A ViewSonic A70f PerfectFlat and an old Datum (model unknown). When I try to use them both, I see a slightly dark refresh bar scrolling down my viewsonic. I tried moving the monitors further apart and nothing. I haven't tried the same refresh rates yet, so I'm wondering how well that works to correct the problem. Also, if I am unable to correct the problem, could my monitor be damaged by the interference?
ECarlson   2006-02-02 10:18
The interference won't cause any damage. What resolutions and refresh rates do you have your monitors set to?

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Animositas   2006-02-02 16:43
primary on 1152*864, secondary on 800*600 both refreshing at 70hz. they are about 10 inches apart.
ECarlson   2006-02-03 12:45
I've heard that some people put a metal shield between monitors. I'm not sure if aluminum foil would work, or if it has to be ferrous.

Also, try faster refresh rates if you can. 70.hz is a little slow. I try not to use less than 72.hz or 75.hz, and I prefer 85.hz for CRTs. (LCDs generally use 60.hz, but they don't flicker like CRTs.)

ECarlson   2006-02-03 12:55
Also, you might try electrical noise filters on the power cords and/or better video cables.

Tripp-Lite makes some nice surge supressors with multiple filtering stages, so not only are the devices isolated from line noise, but also from each other's electrical noise. For example, the Isobar6 has 3 separate filter stages. And there are other ISOBAR models.

Animositas   2006-02-04 08:28
the little Datum won't go above 70 hz without splitting up into slivers. I'm gotten rid of most of the interfence by moving them about 10" apart, but I don't have any more cord room. I tried to separate the cords as well as possible. Also, I tried aluminum foil and it did nothing. probably needs to be ferrous metal.
ECarlson   2006-02-04 13:47
It's probably the old monitor causing the interference. I've almost never had a pair of monitors interfere with each other, and I've always had them very close, or even touching each other.

You could still try raising the refresh on the other one, and try the other things I suggested if you can.

Animositas   2006-02-04 16:49
yeah, the monitors at our school are pretty close together and they get no interference. Probably because my old monitor is from 1993-ish and is high radiation. o well as long as it doesn't do any lasting damage, I couldn't care less about the scan line.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Monitor Interference