Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multiple monitors and PCI express
Larry Burford   2006-02-05 00:31
I've been using multiple monitors for about 5 years now, and as plug and play has evolved it has become easier and easier. With XP is litterally just a question of how many monitors you can afford and how many video cards will your system hold. Plug everything in and it works. Very cool.

Five monitors (using two Radeon 7500 dualhead cards and what ever happens to be the on-board video system) is neat and easy to do. (Use the ATI driver, but do NOT install their management software! Let Windows handle it. It can do up to 10, if you have the hardware.)

Then, along comes PCI express. My first two attempts (a Dell and an eMachine) to multi-ize computers with a PCI express video slot on board have run into a problem - as soon as you add a video card the on-board video system shuts off. The loss of the on board video happens whether the video card you install is PCI or PCI express.

On the Dell I could not even boot-up with a known good PCI card installed, but a PCI express card worked fine (if you don't count the loss of the on board video system.)

I have not found a way to get around this. Yet. But I'm sure that one exists. (Call me an optimist.)

===

Q1) Has anyone else tried to multi-ize one of these new comnputers with PCI express slots?

Q2) Have you seen the same problem?

Q3) Have you found any info about it on the Web? (Perhaps at a site like this one. I've found no mention of PCI express here so far, but maybe I just missed it.)

Q4) Found any fixes?

Thanks,
LB
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multiple monitors and PCI express