Forums -> Multiple monitors -> multiple monitors with a laptop
Ron H   2006-02-08 11:38
Hi ... hoping to find some guidance here.

I'm getting a brand new Dell Precision M70 with a docking station that has both the analog and DVI monitor hookups. I used to have a desktop with an Nvidia card that had 2 19" monitors hooked up to it.

Now that I'm using a laptop as my "desktop" I'll have 3 monitors. The question is, using UltraMon, can the 2 19" monitors and laptop monitor be set up to run independently? XP only seems to support 2 monitors so I'm wondering how it would work adding a 3rd as a totally independent monitor.

My fear is that it won't work because the laptop will be plugged into the docking station and therefore it's capabilities as a separate monitor negated.

Ideas?

Ron H
Christian Studer   2006-02-15 11:35
Most likely you'll only be able to use either 2 external monitors, or 1 external monitor + the built-in monitor.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
ThreeIsles   2006-03-13 21:47
Hi Ron,

I'm dealing with exactly the same situation, also using XP professional.

I have just been supplied with a new vaio laptop. I'm used to using a setup with three screens on my old desktop, and would like to emulate this as much as possible.

Particularly what I would like is to have two external 19" monitors working off this new laptop (if the laptop screen has to be switched off to enable the second monitor, this is ok, though three screens would be better).

My laptop has a VGA output, and the docking station has both DVI and VGA outputs.

So, while it is possible to physically connect both 19" external monitors, only one is used by the computer to display when you extend the windows desktop.

My Graphics card is ATI mobility Radeon X700, and the software which comes with the computer to control this is ATI CATALYST CONTROL CENTER.

All three screens are visible (as being attached to the computer) in the display manager window of the control center, but it only allows 2 screens to actually display data. You can swap between the screen that is selected by selecting the disabled screen, but then the first one turns off.

There seems to be no way of getting both 19" external screens to work, with or without the laptop screen as well.

I was wondering if anyone else knows any software or other cheap solutions to enable using multiple external monitors on the laptop.
Christian Studer   2006-03-14 10:39
You could use a PCMCIA video card like the VTBook to connect the second external monitor.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
David   2007-09-14 03:10
The issue I am having is this:
I have two monitors hooked up to my laptop, and of course the LCD on the laptop. I cannot get the external monitors to work independently. The 2nd monitor mirrors the first monitor. How can I make them work independently?

David
boardtc   2007-12-03 20:03
Thinking that DualHead2Go was my only option for connecting 2 externals to my laptop, from reading this forum I have learned about vtbook. I like the solution over DualHead2go as it seems to be proper multiple monitors.

Looking at the VillageTronic site their is also viDock. Having spent some time on their web site I am still unsure about them. Does anyone have any experience of using their products and if they work well?

Thanks, Tom.
boardtc   2007-12-09 19:51
ViDock Gfx sounds like it might be the perfect solution. VillageTronic are unsure of shipment dates, sometime in early 2008 they say.

Thanks, Tom.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> multiple monitors with a laptop