Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ATI Radeon
dennis   2006-02-24 07:18
I have a Dell GX260 with the ATI Radeon 7500 AGP card installed. Can I install a Radeon 7000 PCI and let WinXP install it's own drivers or get a driver from ATI ? I'm not that fussy,just want a multi-monitor setup.

Thanks

Dennis...
Christian Studer   2006-02-27 08:51
Should work fine, Windows should be able to use the existing ATI driver for the second card.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Craig Buck   2006-07-24 06:11
I've been using the ATI Hydravision software, which I hate, so I tried Ultramon instead. But it will only mirror, it tells me it doesn't see a second monitor. I reloaded the install software and got rid of the mirroring as one of your FAQs suggested, but it's doing the same thing. Ultramon just can't see the second monitor on my Radeon 7000 card.

Craig
Craig Buck   2006-07-24 06:14
by the way, I uninstalled hydravision before installing Ultramon, and my ATI software that comes up when I hit the advanced tab in the Ultramon display settings is seeing the second monitor just fine

Craig
Christian Studer   2006-07-24 08:25
Switching to regular extended desktop mode should fix this, you can do this via the catalyst control center.

Craig Buck   2006-07-24 08:39
don't mean to be dense, but what is the catalyst control center? And how can I switch to extended desktop if it's only seeing one display monitor?

Craig
Christian Studer   2006-07-24 08:49
This is ATI's video card configuration software, you can access it via a tab under advanced display properties.

Craig Buck   2006-07-24 09:18
I already tried that. I can control them with the ATI software, but Ultramon still doesn't recognize the second monitor.

Craig
Christian Studer   2006-07-25 07:29
Which version of Windows are you using?

Craig Buck   2006-07-26 09:58
windows 2000, with a gig of ram

Craig
Christian Studer   2006-07-27 01:01
In that case the problem is that the drivers for your video card only support span mode under Windows 2000, regular extended desktop mode is only supported under XP or later.

ATI only supports regular extended desktop mode under Windows 2000 for Radeon 9000 and later cards.

Craig Buck   2006-07-27 03:03
What's the difference between span mode and regular extended desktop mode? I think my ATI Hydravision can do almost everything Ultramon promises, it only does it very nonintuitively.

Craig
Christian Studer   2006-07-27 08:41
In span mode UltraMon and Windows see the two monitors as a single wide monitor, whereas in regular extended desktop mode both monitors are correctly recognized.

UltraMon only works correctly in regular extended desktop mode, span mode is treated as a single monitor system.

Paul Moon   2007-01-24 05:27
Christian, I don't think that the Catalyst Control Center will load under any circumstances if there are two video cards. Am I wrong?

See http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/gallery_browse.asp?ID=601
Christian Studer   2007-01-24 10:47
Haven't tested this myself, my ATI system only has a single card.

Paul Moon   2007-01-25 02:18
I stand corrected, I re-installed Catalyst last night and found that it loads with both my ATI 9600XT and my ATI 9250 installed. My new problem is that I can't get any video on the primary or secondary monitor connected to the 9250. Is it possible that video (is it an "overlay" when it's an HDTV stream such as Beyond TV or WatchHDTV?) on a four-monitor system is only viewable on the primary monitor connected to the primary video card? Beyond TV ramps down to software rendering on all the other screens, which results in extremely poor video quality. I noticed that WMP also degrades the quality considerably on all the other screens.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ATI Radeon