Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Setting up a 4 monitors PC
Maxime   2006-03-04 06:12
Hi!

First of all, I have to say that I have no experience in multi-monitor setups. However, I searched the forum and didn't really get an answer to my question...

We are currently trying to set up a workstation to have a 4 monitors output (2 monitors tall X 2 monitors wide), and we are looking for the right video card(s) to buy. The 4 monitors will need to function as one big monitor, since the window of a program will span over all 4 monitors. Is it possible to do this with 2 dual output video cards, or do we need a quad-output one?

Thanks in advance!

Maxime
ECarlson   2006-03-04 13:19
Any (compatible) combination of cards, or a single quad card, will let you put 4 monitors in a block in Windows Extended Desktop mode, and if you are using a normal app, like Firefox, IE, Word, Excel, Etc., you can resize the app's window to fill all 4 screens, but it you want to run it "Full screen", normally that will go full screen to only 1 of the monitors. I don't know if UltraMon will help make it go full screen to all 4 monitors.

If you expect to run a 3D or video app across all 4 monitors, you'll probaly have issues that may or may not be resolveable.

Depending on the need, I think there are also hardware devices that can take one video signal and split it up into quadrants to cover 4 monitors.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Maxime   2006-03-11 02:28
Thanks for your answer, and sorry for the delay.

The application I have to run over the 4 monitors is a LabView (www.ni.com/labview) interface. Since it is a much more complex application than Word or Excel, I'd like someone to confirm that it will be possible to stretch the window over the 4 monitors (doesn't matter if the fullscreen button cannot be used) using 2 dual-output cards. Since we are building our new system exclusively for this application, it is really important for me to know that it will work...

Feel free to post internet links that could help me on the subject, since I really have trouble finding information about setting up this type of configuration.

Maxime
ECarlson   2006-03-11 03:14
Looks like an ordinary 2D user interface, so it should work fine stretched over 4 monitors. Have you asked in the user groups or forums related to that app? I'm sure people are using it with multiple monitors, so you should be able to find someone who can tell you how well it works with multiple monitors.

ECarlson   2006-03-11 03:16
I got this right from their knowledge base:

"With respect to the Windows 98/2000/XP multi-monitor functionality, LabVIEW will run properly. The multiple monitors are handled by the operating system, which makes their usage transparent to LabVIEW"

SAI   2006-03-19 21:16
Im using a asrock dual 915gL board. It works perfectly with 5 monitor support. I use a agp ati 9250 radeon card paired with pci-e x16 ati x300se card. ordinary video player software wont work. You need to download from heroshare.com. U try to find the player with multimonitor support. Thats my unit. I have tried it for a few weeks. Its ok.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Setting up a 4 monitors PC