Forums -> Multiple monitors -> New motherboard can take up to 4 graphics cards!
Doug97   2006-03-15 05:29
Has everyone seen this?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/04/one_gigabyte_motherboard/

The Gigabyte Royal Quad has 4 PCI Express x8 graphics card slots, meaning you can run up to 8 monitors from modern high-powered nVidia graphics cards!

Can anyone tell me if 3 cards attached to 3 monitors would allow triple monitor gaming?
ECarlson   2006-03-15 14:45
I posted about that in October, but nobody seemed interested at the time.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Doug97   2006-03-16 00:44
Yeah, a bit strange, isn't it?

Do you think it's because nobody here is interested in multimonitor gaming, therefore having a mobo that can take 3-4 POWERFUL cards is pointless (multimonitor desktopping is easy by comparison).
Stefan   2006-03-18 07:28
hm I dont get that one. There are boards with 6 PCI-Slots, so you can add 24 (6x4 quad cards) screens to your system - theoretically at least.
zima   2006-03-18 10:11
Actually 28, if you'll also add quad AGP card :p
Stefan   2006-03-18 12:41
good point, but as I stated - unfortunately, in theory only

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/forum/messages.asp?Topic=6020&tmpl=UltraMon
ECarlson   2006-03-19 13:20
Stefan: This board support 4 PCI Express slots for high-performance video (faster than AGP), and you can even run 2 pairs of SLI for really high video performance. That is very different than PCI (slower than AGP), which has very limited video performance.

Multi-monitor/multi-card PCI is fine for many situations, but it is not a high-bandwidth, high-performance solution.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Riclos   2006-03-20 03:06
You know, what's amazing to me about this is not the fact that the hardware exists to do outlandish things -- but the fact that the gaming industry doesn't see into the future of advanced multi screen gaming is just staggering to me. Imagine a game where one screen is your sensors, the other is your cockpit controls, the other your weaponry... good grief! it boggles the mind! Certainly someone out there knows of a game that leads in this direction? Give!
Doug97   2006-03-21 04:32
I know what you mean ... but seems like we're making progress!
Stefan   2006-03-21 09:12
thanks a lot, ECarson. Any advice on my multimon-issue?
Eric   2006-05-09 07:18
Riclos, I am RIGHT there with you! Plus, what boggles MY mind is that gamers that span across three monitors are satisfied with the horribly-distorted wings. As far as I've seen, only MS Flight Sim does it right -- using THREE "cameras," one for each monitor. This presents a MUCH, MUCH better visual experience than a single viewpoint streched out to 140ยบ FOV. Try to do a quick turnaround in a FPS and not get seasick....

Totally annoys me. C'mon, game devs!! I've been waiting for you to catch up for six years now!!

--
Eric
Lennart   2006-05-09 22:22
Hi Doug97

I have this motherboard. I'm using this with 3x Nvidia 7600 cards for a total of 6 screens. I have no problem getting openGL hardware accelerated on this setup.

However it does not work on vertical or horisontal span modes. You need each graphic card to be set up with 2 single screens and then positioned using the standard windows multi screen setup.

Windows has a total of 10 screens.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> New motherboard can take up to 4 graphics cards!