Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi monitor/computer
Steve Hammer   2006-03-30 23:17
I have 4 Samsung 193p monitors on one computer with a Matrox g450 quad card and a backup computer with 2 Samsung 970p's. The Samsung 193p's have two separate inputs for RGB and DVI connections the 970p's have only one.

What I want to do is use all 6 monitors on the first computer by adding a dual card and use this as my normal configuration. But I still want to be able to use 2 of the 6 monitors on the backup computer as needed (both computers running)and I would like to be able to switch back and forth without need to restart computers.

I am also thinking about using the same keyboard/mouse for both computers. If I do combine keyboard/mouse I am leaning towards a hardware solution not a software one as I am not sure I need the pro/cons of the software solution (i.e. firewalls and network, ethernet security issues, ability to drag drop etc).

Could I use 2 of the 193p monitors using the DVI's to connect one computer and the RGB's to hook up the other computer at same time and use a A/B switch or the monitors themselves to select which computer signal to use (without need for a restart).

Is their a easier way to do this or is it even possible?
Steve Hammer   2006-03-30 23:38
Also I forgot is there a issue with display property settings (do I have to manually change on every switchover?) and switching from 6 to 4 and 4 to 6 monitors? If there is is there a way to save both settings and choose as desired?
ECarlson   2006-04-01 10:31
You could do as you suggest, and use the monitors' built-in input switching. It shouldn't be a problem. When you are using the first computer's monitors 5 and 6 on the second computer, just make sure you don't move any windows onto those monitors on the first system, and you should be fine.

Are you going to use a KVM to switch the keyboard and mouse?

Have you also considered something like Synergy, which is software that lets you share hardware between 2 computers, though I'm not sure exactly how it would work in your setup.

If you only needed single-monitor access to the second computer, then you could use Remote Desktop, VNC, RAdmin, or some other remote control software.

Let us know how it goes.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Steve Hammer   2006-04-02 22:57
Ok here is what I thinking now. I kinda jumped ahead and left out some infof. The 2 970p's are on order due to arrive Tues. My current setup has the 4 193p's and 2 19" Nokia 446xpro Crts. Well after getting my 6 monitor multimount and mounting the 4 193p's I fount I mave have room and am leaning towards keeping the crt's for 8 monitor setup. Just in case I do and if not then for future expansion I ordered a second Matrox quad card. So now my plans are to run the 6 lcds on one computer and the 2 crts on the other. I still am looking towards finding a way to run all 8 at same time on one but the crts only have an analog connector.

As far as keyboard/mouse yes my room is shrinking and I probably need to look at sharing. I want to go with hardware solution not software.

As it stands now this is what I want to share now. 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse, printer, firewire. Is there a switch that do all that??
ECarlson   2006-04-03 13:36
Don't know about the firewire, but there are dual-monitor KVM's which could take care of the rest. There should be some links somewhere in the FAQ on this site.

Some even switch sound, and maybe a USB device, but for sound, you could just mix the 2 line-level signals into one set of powered speakers or something like that, or run one line-out to the other system's line-in.

For devices like a printer, you can use a USB sharing device (on my web site, you can see the one we use), or network the printer, if the KVM doesn't have a built in USB printer switch.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi monitor/computer