Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 12 monitors
Valery   2006-04-11 14:47
What if we will use one quad display graphic card like Matrox QID and also use 4 Matrox TripleHead2GO for each of QID output? So we will have 12 monitors. Can anyone say: will it work? What the applications we could use to manage this 12 monitors? We would like to see 2 large windows (3x3 monitors, for the present without of strong requirements for resolution). And it would be nice to see and to use one mouse pointer for both windows.
Thanks in advance, Valery from Russia.
Josh   2006-04-16 16:40
As far as I know the monitors themselves would work, although I hear running more then 10 monitors on one computer can be a problem as windows doesn't support it. I do believe ultramon supports it but I've honestly never tried.

Although it's worth noting that you won't be able to configure your two windows the way you like. Two mouse pointers on one computer is simply not possible at this time. A few people have asked, but nobody has a way of doing that.

In order to accomplish what you have asked for you'd really need to use two separate computers with 6 monitors each. There is no current way to handle all of what you want with a single computer.
Tom   2006-04-17 13:20
>Two mouse pointers on one computer is simply
>not possible at this time. A few people have
>asked, but nobody has a way of doing that.

AHEM....

http://cpnmouse.sourceforge.net/
Josh   2006-04-17 17:30
Well Tom, from the looks of things, I stand corrected. :)

Thanks for the link, I'm currently reading through it and I'm going to give this thing a try as soon as possible. It sounds very interesting at a glance.
Josh   2006-04-17 18:39
I just gave that dual mouse pointer thing a shot. It works kinda, it's a tad flaky. It tends to lag pretty bad if you attempt to move both mice at the same time. Also it unfortunately doesn't allow for a dual focus. I was really hoping the developer some how found a way to do that, but it doesn't seem like it.

Right now it looks like, all it really does it let you see and move two pointers, but only one can actually do anything at any given time. Basicly it just snaps the real mouse pointer to which ever fake pointer is clicking at that time. Which kinda defeats the point, since you can't drag two thigns at once, or maintain focus on two windows at a time.

It's a cool app though, which shows promise, it's too bad development looks pretty dead. If they ever got dual focus going this could solve a lot of peoples dual display issues with allowing the use of a second monitor while in games or other apps.
Valery   2006-04-18 16:04
It seems for me that usage more than 1 pointer is very interesting but complex for the realization and understanding. It looks like soccer with 2 balls :)
As for the multi monitor work, I thought that the mouse pointer will move between displays automatically. I.e. if we will stretch one window up to 4 monitors then the pointer will move within this 4 monitors like in one monitor. Is it wrong?
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 12 monitors