Forums -> Multiple monitors -> System Config. Question (For Christian?)
David DeCristoforo   2001-07-19 14:17
I am currently using a Matrox G400 Dual Head on a W2K machine:
Athlon 1G ("Classic" slot A)
ABIT KA7-100 MoBo
1G PC133 RAM (4 sticks Mushkin 256 REV 2.2.2)
View Sonic 21" G810-2 (primary)
View Sonic 17" A70 (secondary
Matrox 5.52 PowerDesk / Drivers. This allows true multi monitor functionality under W2K (i.e. separate display resolutions, taskbar on primary only, programs open on one or the other screen, not in the middle of both, etc.)

I am happy with the Matrox except that it does not like the shared IRQ situation enforced by W2K and so I get a lot of freezes. There does not seem to be any way around this and it seems to be the only thing the guys at Matrox can't seem to resolve (Matrox cards are notoriously bad about IRQ sharing)Therefore I am looking into the following set up:
Radeon DDR64 AGP (primary)
Radeon SDR32 PCI (secondary)
and using Ultra-Mon in lieu of the Matrox PowerDesk (everything else to remain unchanged).

Do I install all of the cards and monitors and then install Ultra-Mon?
Will Ultra-Mon work more or less the same as the Matrox PowerDesk as far as allowing true multi monitor support under W2K?

Currently I use the "BossKey" virtual desktop program. So I can open, say, PhotoShop and drag all of the tool bars and pallets to the second screen. Then I can switch to the "second" desktop and open another app like Dreamweaver and drag it's tool bars and pallets to the second screen and so on. Will I still have this functionality under the above proposed set up?

David DeCristoforo
Christian Studer   2001-07-20 03:14
You don't need any special software to get full multi-monitor support with the config you mentioned.

UltraMon adds additional features, similar to Matrox PowerDesk. Click here for more information.

BossKey seems to work fine, I tested it quickly on my Win2000 system. If you should have any problems, there are several other virtual desktop managers that work fine on multiple monitors, see Multiple Desktops.

BTW, I would be very interested to hear how it goes with the AGP/PCI Radeon config, looks like it would make an excellent multi-monitor system.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
David DeCristoforo   2001-07-20 12:51
Thank you for your advice. I have the cards on order and should have them next week. Then I will download Ultra-Mon and check it out. I will most certainly let you know how it works out.
DD
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> System Config. Question (For Christian?)