Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 monitors, PCI-E ATI RADEON X700 & Onboard ATI Graphics
envytwo   2006-04-14 17:50
Hey guys, I found ultramon, and I love it for my dual setup! But I need one more screen!

Anyways, I have an HP Pavillian a1130n, I put in a new video card (PCI-E ATI Radeon X700) That has dvi/vga/svideo. I am using the VGA and DVI slots already for the dual monitors.

I was wondering if it is possible to connect a third monitor to the VGA slot that came with the PC that uses the intergrated graphics card and have a tri-mon setup?

Any help would be great! Thanks in advanced
Josh   2006-04-16 16:34
I don't know that card models specs and I'm a little lazy to look it up, however odds are pretty good it's a dual head card. Which means the s-video and the second monitor out actually share. So you can't run both of them at the same time, only one. I've never actually seen a VGA/DVI/s-video card which isn't dual head. Although maybe it's something they've started doing more recently so you'd have to check the specs.

To my knowledge if you want to add another monitor you'll have to add another physical graphics card. You can simply throw in a 20$ PCI card if you like. You could run a third monitor off that just fine. Just don't use it when gaming, always use the ATI card for that. :)
Tim   2006-04-18 08:55
Most onboard video cards turn them selfs off when the detect a video in the agp/pci-e slot. easy way to check is to look at device manager and see if both video cards are listed under display adapters. make sure none have a yellow "!" icon on them.

if its not listed then its probley turning its self off, you will need to buy pci card for the thrid screen, i would recomend a nvidia fx 5200. its the fastest 3d gaming card out for pci.

if it is listed but there is a yellow "!" mark on then you might be able to get it working buy going into the bios and change the vedio card detection

on my old system(it had 1 pci 1 agp) i had have it detect the pci card frist or would not work.

hope this helps

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Asus A8N-E Nforce 4 Ultra motherboard
1 GB Geil Memory
Asus EN5900 128 MB pci-e video card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
2 x 60GB maxtor drivers running in raid stripping
4 x 100GB maxtor stoarge drives
Sony +/- DVD bruner
580 w RaidMAX powersupply
james   2006-04-19 08:22
Hi,
I’m trying to do a similar thing, I have 2 monitors connected to my 9600XT and it works fine. I’m thinking of adding a third monitor for gaming.
I have some questions.
1. Can I run a mix of NVidia and ATI Graphics cards?
2. If so is the FX 5200 or the FX 5500 the faster card?
3. Currently I can spread windows across 2 monitors, wither manually or using ATI’s hydravision. If I add a non ATI card, can I still do this?
4. I’m guessing if I can do all this, and run a game, the game will be limited to the slower card’s speed, right?

I have so many questions about this, but these should get me rolling.
Thanks

Gigabyte GA-7vt600
Athlon xp 3200+
1.5Gb Corsair PC3200 RAM
Radeon 9600XT
envytwo   2006-04-21 18:34
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I got it to work....here is what I did:

The onboard card turned itself off so I went into bios and made it the primary card, or somthing like that, I realy dont remember right now :(

Booted the pc up again, and went into the ATI Catalyst control center and enable the other monitor. I have all three working now :)

Hope this helps someone else with a similar issue!
ECarlson   2006-04-22 03:27
Thanks for the update.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 monitors, PCI-E ATI RADEON X700 & Onboard ATI Graphics