Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can onboard video be used with a card for multiple monitors?
David DeRolph   2006-04-24 03:14
My impresssion is that this usually does not work, that installing a video card in a system with onboard video automatically disables or requires disabling the onboard video. Is this true for all systems or does it depend on the particular motherboard?
Josh   2006-04-24 04:47
It can almost always be done. Installing another card will disable the onboard video but if you go into the bios you can reactivate it. You'll also most likely have to set PCI as the primary video in the BIOS as well.
David DeRolph   2006-04-24 06:12
Thanks for your reply. Going back to summer of 2004, I had a motherboard with onboard video. If I recall correctly, I had to access the BIOS and disable onboard video BEFORE I could boot up with a video card installed. However, I may have forgotten some of the details of using that motherboard; it was an ECS K7SEM. Perhaps I could have just changed the BIOS setting in the manner you mentioned and used two monitors, one off onboard video, and the other off the card.
ECarlson   2006-04-24 12:51
If you are installing an AGP video card, you almost always have to choose between the onboard video or the AGP card. If it is a PCI video card, it is likely to work with the onboard video. If it is PCI-e video card, some people here have used PCI-e with onboard video, so it might be possible.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can onboard video be used with a card for multiple monitors?