Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows fails to init first try
janone   2006-05-07 08:22
I have a Dell Latitude D820 with a D-Dock Station. Latitude has internal 512MB NVIDIA Quatro NVS 120M TurboCache card, and the D-Dock has an ATI FireMV2200 multi view graphics accelerator. I have installed UltraMon, and have disabled the ATI HyperVision and NVIDIA desktop management. I have one external monitor connected to the NVIDIA (through the DVI plug on back of D-Dock) and two other external DVI monitors connected to the ATI card, which has been installed in the D-Dock PCI expansion slot. The laptop's internal display and the external monitor connected to the NVIDIA have been set up as clones (used the NVIDIA Control panel to do this). The other two external displays have been set up as extended desktops within the Windows display settings menu. All works very well once it is completely initialized. However, it takes from 2 to 5 trys to get Windows to load completely. It hangs just before it displays the screen that allows you to click the user's name. I push the power button on either the laptop or the dock to shut down. Wait a couple of seconds, and push power button to restart. As Windows starts to init, a screen appears saying "Sorry, windows failed to....blah, blah," and gives you the choice of starting in safe mode or regularly. I let it count down and start regularly, or else I just select start regularly. It takes from 2 to 4 more times doing this to get the Windows system fully init. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can check? I fear that one of these days it will not init at all. Thank you.

JANONE
janone   2006-05-07 08:23
I failed to mention in first post that the external monitor connected to the NVIDIA card has been set as the primary. Thanks.

JANONE
Gabe   2006-10-04 06:30
I have this same problem were the computer starts up till the right before the cntr+Alt+Del screen comes up and then both my monitors go black. But after holding down the power button on the CPU and forcing a shutdown then starting up the system. Sometimes this has to be done several times before the system will load to windows and work normally. The system is a Dell Optiplex 240 1.6 P4 with 768m of ram, Nvidia Geforce 6800GT and 2 dell 19" LCD's.

I only have this problem when ultramon is installed on the system. So far I have tried to uninstall and reinstall ultra mon and the problem comes back after a day or two. If anyone has any experience with this problem please post a reply.

Thanks in advance
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows fails to init first try