Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Video card with 3 monitors?
waileung   2006-05-07 12:13
Hi guys,

Just wondering if theres a graphics card out there there that gives 3 monitor outputs? I have a shuttle pc that only has 1 pcie x16 slot and 1 pcie x1 slot, no agp/pci.

Any solutions for if i want to run 3 monitors?
Josh   2006-05-07 13:05
Matrox, makes quad head cards. I haven't really heard of a trihead card but I assume they exsist as well. There are also some that have 8 heads. :)

I'm not really sure if there are any pcie versions though. I haven't looked but I'd give matrox a look.

Alternativly there are such things as USB based video cards which are just a little box you plug into a USB port. There ususally used for servicing computers and such due to the fact that their max res is 1024x768 or lower depending on which ones you buy . Also you can forget about gaming with a USB based video card. Although it could work fine to extend a desktop for use with applications or just basic windows use.
ECarlson   2006-05-08 10:30
Matrox makes triple-monitor cards, but they only support 3 monitors in Span mode.

Does your system have a built-in video output? You might be able to combine that with a regular dual-out PCI-e X16 video card.

Another option is a 4-output card, but your choices are limited.

You could also run a regular PCI-e X16 card for 2 monitors, and a PCI-e X1 card for the 3rd, though again, choices are limited for PCI-e X1.

Also, keep in mind that some cards might require more power than your power supply can handle.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
waileung   2006-05-08 11:31
Thanks for the replies.

The only pciex1 card i see around is the Matrox G550, does anyone know of any others?

The shuttle doesnt have an onboard video card, and the current card I have on the pciex16 slot is a 6600.

Would I be able to run 3 monitors if i get the matrox card?

Also, for single cards with 3+ display outputs, I cant seem to find any released, but theres info on the technology on the matrox site. Anyone know of actual cards?

Thanks again.
waileung   2006-05-09 12:38
After some looking around, just like Eric said, it seems my only option is to use PCIex1 card as I dont want the low resolutions of a usb card.

Only one I found was the PCIex1 version of the Matrox G550.

Would anyone know if its difficult to get a matrox card run alongside an nvidia/ati card to get 3 monitor outputs? Havent really tried mixing card brands up, so I'd assume there would be some driver problems.
ECarlson   2006-05-09 13:59
Colorgraphic makes the Xentera GT 4, 4-output PCI-e card (also available in PCI and AGP).

You might check This Page for more info and purchasing info. You should also check the compatibility list.

waileung   2006-05-09 14:59
Holy crap thats expensive.
ECarlson   2006-05-10 11:34
Agreed, but it is kind of a specialty item, so it is expected to be expensive, since they probably don't have a huge demand for them. It's also not exactly the latest in performance either.

n3twork   2006-06-03 18:37
Matrox pirahna 5122 meg video card supports 3 displays on one card and I think it comes in both AGP nad pci flavours... but the pci is only 256 megs... let me get you the link.

http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/cre_pro/products/parhelia/pci256mb.cfm
Also with this card you could play games on all 3 monitors since it's on one card and it could span the whole deskotp as one when you want to play games.
Alexander   2006-08-26 13:35
I have 2xgeforce 7900 gtx and I am using 3 lcd's.
Viewing dvd's spanned over dual monitor with Powerdvd 7 works and with MatrixDVD too. But
I tried to span over 3 lcd monitors with aspect ratio setting: "widescreen" but I got an error message. Can anyone help me?
David DeRolph   2006-08-27 03:26
waileung, you have no PCI slot? That's weird.
tom   2006-09-02 22:32
If i have a Asus 6800GT 256mb, can i just get another nVidia PCIe card for a 3rd monitor?
or do i have to get PCIEx1, or does it have to be PCI card?
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Video card with 3 monitors?