Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows out of view
chris   2006-05-07 14:57
Does anyone else have this common problem and perhapes have an easy fix for windows that end up with their title bar positioned out of display? I switch between many different display configurations and with applications liking to save their window positions I often end up with windows stuck out of view where I can't move my mouse. This happens when I change my one of my widescreen monitors between landscape and portait orientation, or when I use remote desktop.

Perhapes a script that finds out of view windows and resizes and moves them to within the viewable region?
Josh   2006-05-07 15:06
I personally use ultramon for this. There isn't anything which deals with this exactly, but I set a hotkey in ultramon for "Move to next display". So when I open something if it doesn't appear on the screen I can just use that hotkey and it will move to the next display (inside the viewable area).

You could of course use a diffrent hotkey. I believe for example that you can also set a hotkey for "move to primary display". There are a few choices which could work for you.

Alternativly you could use the key squence alt-space-x to maximize a window to the screen it is on. Which will also put it into a viewable area. Please note, that is a key sequence and not a hotkey. As in you press them one after the other not all at the same time.
ECarlson   2006-05-08 10:36
You can alt-tab to the app, then use alt-space then M to access the Move option, then use the arrow keys to move the window to where you want.

You can try it now to see how it works, even if you aren't having a problem at the moment.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Mike Kelly   2006-06-02 08:30
This is great, exactly what I needed. Nice UltraMon option would be to "move all windows from disabled monitor" which would help this situation.

Mike Kelly
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows out of view