Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Gaming with 3 Monitors
Eric   2006-05-09 07:43
First off, thanks for clicking. I know this is a very common topic. But I'm asking an uncommon question.

From this forum I found JBigger's website which was of mild help to me, probably because I figured out how to do what he describes six years ago. But I'm not quite sure.

My (current) setup: GeForce4 ti5600 128MB dualhead AGP plus a POS 8MB PCI card; 3 identical 21" CRTs; AMD 2800+; 2.5GB RAM; running WinXP.

The only way I've gotten 3D games to work on all 3 monitors is to:

1. reduce monitor displays to 640x480
2. switch the game to "windowed" mode
3. configure the game to render a viewport 4 times wider than tall (1920x480)
4. drag the window so that it is placed "over" all three monitors.

Now, pardon my bluntness, but this is retarded.

* What appears to be happening is I'm forced to run the 3D first-person-shooter game in "software" rendering mode, which takes zero advantage of the advanced, specialized capabilities of the expensive video card I bought. Framerates (at 640x480 per monitor) on my system are around 30fps on older games (UT97, Q3), which blow chunks.

* I am left with a narrow strip of a title bar at the top of all the screens.

* The wing monitors display a horribly distorted view, thanks to the ineptitude of the game developers in not thinking of multimonitor potentials and providing an adapted viewport for each monitor (but that's beyond the topic here).

I've been doing this for 6 years now and I am far from impressed. I'm visiting the forums here today looking for improvements in multimon gaming and I'm finding the same old stuff.

I'm thinking of getting a GeForce 7900GTX paired with another decent card for the third monitor, but I'm now reading that, if I go with SLI, it's not compatible with multiple monitors. I read the ATI Crossfire is doing a better job at this?

So, sorry for the long winded setup, but my question is: is JBigger doing what I'm doing or does he have something that works better?

And, where can multimon gamers go to complain to devs to start making games for us that utilize (PROPERLY) more than one monitor?

--
Eric
Seahorse   2006-05-09 09:01
Crossfire doesnt do 3 either. Matrox Triplehead2go would seem the sensible option ATM...

--
Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish.Com Deep sea Daddies...
Eric   2006-05-10 09:47
So I assume my method and JBigger are identical?

When I mentioned Crossfire it was in context of the Crossfire single card being of equal power as two nVidia cards using SLI. Am I mistaken? If not, it would seem Crossfire I could get two monitors WITH the power of SLI. That's what I meant.

Thanks.

--
Eric
Joe   2006-05-11 02:40
Matrox TripleHead2Go is what you want. I agree that it is ridiculous that even on an SLI system you can't just plug in three monitors and go TripleHead gaming.

The TripleHead2Go is sweet, though.
http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_065a.html
Alexander   2006-08-26 13:41
Unfortunately Matrox does not use dvi :( .
I can not either play games over 3 monitors spanned :( . Dual monitor works.
Note, my Windows xp pro 64-bit supports desktop span over 3 monitors! Unfortunately my games and dvd players not :( . Any suggestions?

Another question I have: 'I have 2xgeforce 7900 gtx and I am using 3 lcd's.
Viewing dvd's spanned over dual monitor with Powerdvd 7 works and with MatrixDVD too. But
I tried to span over 3 lcd monitors with aspect ratio setting: "widescreen" but I got an error message. Can anyone help me? '
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Gaming with 3 Monitors