Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Videos on Secondary?
ai42   2001-07-23 17:39
I have a pretty good system rig running a AGP and PCI duel display option. I used to have a Matrox G450 with 2 heads on the same card.

But on the Matrox the seoncdary display could NOT play videos whatsoever. Called Matrox on that one and they said it was due to a lack of overlay support for the seoncdary video. Bla bla bla no big surprise.

However with my AGP/PCI duel display option both cards are very good and should be able to handle videos quite well (AGP is GeForce 2 MX, PCI is TNT2 Vanta) but the seoncdary display can handle videos but not very well at all and skips a lot. When I set the secondary display to primary it plays videos fine.

So the only explination (that I can think of) is that Windows (Win2k in my case) allocates memory for video functions of the primary monitor, and does not allocate the same amount for the secondary. So is there anyone really savvy with Windows that knows how I can do this? RAM is not an issue as I have 512MB and using more ram for my video would not be a problem. Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure someone has brought this up before but I'm intrested in seeing if anyone found a solution.
Christian Studer   2001-07-23 19:13
Overlays should work fine on a secondary TNT2. Are you sure that overlays are actually being used? This also depends on the amount of free video RAM you have on the TNT2, click here for details.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Cybertony   2001-07-29 14:49
How can you enable overlay's on the secondary video card? Got a Geforce DDR as primary and TNT2 M64 as secondary. Running win98se, directX 8.

In the display properties of the secondary card, there simply is no overlay section ('overlay controls' tab). Seems the NVidia driver automatically removes this tab for the secondary card. I've tried various drivers (7.xx and 12.xx series) Is there a special trick to get overlay's enabled on the secondary card?
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Videos on Secondary?